• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extra Diode

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
When installing an extra diode across the input jack to protect the one on the board from being hooked up backwards, is it anode towards red and cathode towards black?
I have seen a couple of videos where it looks backwards.

Install it the same orientation as the one on the board. If you can't use a diode of the same characteristics as the one on the board, use one that has lower values. That 'extra' diode is the same as a fuse protecting another fuse.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Doc, I remember something you wrote about the subject and what size diode and fuse to use.

maybe a bit ott but i used 60a schottky diodes on the power input jack for years in the hope that it will clamp faster and hard enough to protect against almost any size fuse you would likely find in a cb power cable.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
if you are talkiing about the big diode that jumps across the power plug just inside the radio. it is a 1000 volt 6 amp diode that the factory uses. it goes cathode to positive and anode to negative. I believe this is what you were asking. the guys showed you in the drawings the stock diode. the addon one goes in the same way on hot to ground.

Thanks, that's what I was after, the 6 amp across the hookup jack, we have a lot of drivers that slip seat and it's easy to hook the alligator clips up backwards.
Like I said when viewing videos on line I saw one the was in backwards.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.