• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EZNEC BrainFart

ROC1

Apr 5, 2008
I'm sure this is a lot easier than I'm making it but I'll be darned if I can figure it out. I'm working on a large scale modeling project and need to import a lot of individual files into EZNEC for initial bench-marking and then validation later on.

Every time I import a set developed in inches, EZNEC converts it to millimeters. I can't for the life of me find the information on how to set the unit defaults to prevent this.

Does anyone know how to do it when you're just loading wires into an existing file?

I can't tell you how to get there, but there's a 'preferences' menu somewhere in the program. I don't like meteric measurements at all, so set my copy up for inches/feet. Sorry I'm not much help, but keep looking, it's there.
- 'Doc

I can't tell you how to get there, but there's a 'preferences' menu somewhere in the program. I don't like meteric measurements at all, so set my copy up for inches/feet. Sorry I'm not much help, but keep looking, it's there.
- 'Doc

thanks doc. I'll keep digging.

quick update...

I read through the manual and help file again but just couldn't get it nailed down. sent a "help" email to Roy Lewallen and got a quick and concise answer that actually made sense.

Just FYI, if you're modeling antenna in Excel and exporting out in ASCII for use in EZNEC you need to add a line (think first row of description) prior to the wire info that designates units will be inches, millimeter etc.

If you don't, EZNEC defaults to millimeters.

If you're only checking a handful of files changing the units to whatever you need is no big deal. If you're base-lining a few thousand every second and keystroke count.

I'm sure this is a lot easier than I'm making it but I'll be darned if I can figure it out. I'm working on a large scale modeling project and need to import a lot of individual files into EZNEC for initial bench-marking and then validation later on.

Every time I import a set developed in inches, EZNEC converts it to millimeters. I can't for the life of me find the information on how to set the unit defaults to prevent this.

Does anyone know how to do it when you're just loading wires into an existing file?

Hey ROC1, why don't you email Roy Lewallen, @ w7el@eznec.com, and ask him this question. He primarily only gives advice on programing problems and fixes, and not on modeling ideas or procedures, but maybe he will advise you why you see this conversion happen.

In my experience Roy has responded to all of my inquires promptly.

quick update...

I read through the manual and help file again but just couldn't get it nailed down. sent a "help" email to Roy Lewallen and got a quick and concise answer that actually made sense.

Just FYI, if you're modeling antenna in Excel and exporting out in ASCII for use in EZNEC you need to add a line (think first row of description) prior to the wire info that designates units will be inches, millimeter etc.

If you don't, EZNEC defaults to millimeters.

If you're only checking a handful of files changing the units to whatever you need is no big deal. If you're base-lining a few thousand every second and keystroke count.

Hey ROC1, why don't you email Roy Lewallen, @ w7el@eznec.com, and ask him this question. He primarily only gives advice on programing problems and fixes, and not on modeling ideas or procedures, but maybe he will advise you why you see this conversion happen.

In my experience Roy has responded to all of my inquires promptly.

This is why it pays to read ALL the posts in a thread. :love::laugh:

This is why it pays to read ALL the posts in a thread. :love::laugh:

Yea CK, I was probably typing as ROC1 was posting. Maybe I had a phone call, or the dog wanted in/out, or the door bell rang, or my oatmeal was ready.

CK, I'm surprised that you didn't have some useful information for ROC1 instead of wasting our time making petty comments.

CK is really sharp today boys, to have picked up on such a meaningless event, something that probably happens all the time on these threads. It's just a sign that brighter minds, thinking alike, were at work.

Yea CK, I was probably typing as ROC1 was posting. Maybe I had a phone call, or the dog wanted in/out, or the door bell rang, or my oatmeal was ready.

CK, I'm surprised that you didn't have some useful information for ROC1 instead of wasting our time making petty comments.

CK is really sharp today boys, to have picked up on such a meaningless event, something that probably happens all the time on these threads. It's just a sign that brighter minds, thinking alike, were at work.

Maybe it did take you 23 minutes to type up that post Marconi. See, I DID INDEED read all the posts and saw no reason to offer up any info about something I have a very limited understanding about anyway as ROC1 had already stated he got very concise and useful help from the Roy the man himself which is MUCH better than anything I, or even you , could likely have done. BTW, what's the matter? Picking on your last nerve today am I? Boy, lighten up. We all ain't perfect you know. :love:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.