• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

F 150 Floorboard Install?

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Just got a 2011 f150 not ready to drill holes in trans hump. Anyone know a way to mount a radio on the hump without drilling?

Thanks in advance...

Bobby

I'm not familiar with the late model f150 interior, but are there any pre existing bolts/screws on the floor hump? Maybe back towards the firewall, or up towards the consol/seat. Maybe you can modify the mount to keep from drilling into the truck.

Guess I will just get a sawtooth mount for now!!!:)
Don't fear the sawtooth mount. I ran one in my 2500HD with an FT8800 on top of a HP257 for years. Solid. Didn't move around (at all) and was easily & quickly removed when I wanted the radios out of the truck (like when leaving it at the airport).

I like/use sawtooth mounts. But they work best on a flat floor; not a transmission hump. Since my Honda has a flat floor, it works for me. But if I had a trans hump to work with, I would not hesitate to get a pedestal-type mount. Even it you have to drill four small holes to mount it. Not to mention, they add a 'cool' factor - IMO . . .

I just bought a 2014 F-150 and I'm amazed that such a big truck has no place to comfortably mount a radio. I'm not ready to drill holes either so I went with a Breedlove stake hole antenna mount that will work under the tonneau cover. I also picked up 20 and 10m ham stick type antennas for now. Did you run power from the battery or fuse box? I'm stumped on how to get through the firewall on this thing. Ford really covered up and insulated every little nook and cranny. On my old truck it was a piece of cake.

Probably going with the cheapo floor mount and wide 3m tapeI have to mount the Alinco DX-77TH I bought from Mudfoot.

Did you run power from the battery or fuse box? I'm stumped on how to get through the firewall on this thing. Ford really covered up and insulated every little nook and cranny. On my old truck it was a piece of cake.

For my stereo amplifier in my 2010 I went through the passenger side, way way up in the top corner of the firewall.

Look under the cowel in the top corner of the firewall, should be a rubber grommet, it's almost impossible to see, and comes in kind of behind the firewall insulation on the inside. Have to reach up blind to pull the wire through.

It was not fun lol

I have used 5/16 Bit Tip screws, they come in different legnths for minium penitration thru the metal. You should know what is on the other side. And you can put a little sealant on them also.

I just bought a 2014 F-150 and I'm amazed that such a big truck has no place to comfortably mount a radio. I'm not ready to drill holes either so I went with a Breedlove stake hole antenna mount that will work under the tonneau cover. I also picked up 20 and 10m ham stick type antennas for now. Did you run power from the battery or fuse box? I'm stumped on how to get through the firewall on this thing. Ford really covered up and insulated every little nook and cranny. On my old truck it was a piece of cake.

Probably going with the cheapo floor mount and wide 3m tapeI have to mount the Alinco DX-77TH I bought from Mudfoot.

I have an '07, but that's a different body style than yours. I'd look up stereo installs on YouTube and see where the grommet is to best run your wiring. The stereo guy that ran my wiring knew exactly where it was...

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.