• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fabbing Up Mobile Brackets?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Have any of you guys fabricated your own mobile brackets for your rig? I've been thinking about it, since most companies want an arm and a leg for one if they are even still available. Icom doesn't even offer one for the IC-718 anymore. Is it easier just to go to a machine shop and show them what you need, or can it be a do-it-yourself project?

Brett

Get you some air nibblers and homebrew a cheap break, no problem.

The problem may be finding a fab shop to do the work for you. I tried to get a cainet broke up here a couple years ago and couldn't find a fab shop. I closed my machine shop in 2005 after some local plant closings and big layoffs, it would seem that the fab shops followed suit soon after.

Get you some air nibblers and homebrew a cheap break, no problem.

The problem may be finding a fab shop to do the work for you. I tried to get a cainet broke up here a couple years ago and couldn't find a fab shop. I closed my machine shop in 2005 after some local plant closings and big layoffs, it would seem that the fab shops followed suit soon after.

Yeah, I need a friend that works at a fab shop. ;) Too much work and not enough money in it for them. Unless maybe they made up a bunch of brackets for President Lincoln/HR2510's to sell on Ebay. Have you priced those silly things lately?

Here's a link to one that a guy did himself. The metal does not look thick enough to me, though.

President Lincoln Bracket in Radio pictures/videos Forum

Brett

That one looks pretty flimsy ....... and a little ragged hehe. I'd probably use aluminum, clean the edges up with a belt sander, paint it and be done.

Yeah, I need a friend that works at a fab shop. ;) Too much work and not enough money in it for them. Unless maybe they made up a bunch of brackets for President Lincoln/HR2510's to sell on Ebay. Have you priced those silly things lately?

Here's a link to one that a guy did himself. The metal does not look thick enough to me, though.

President Lincoln Bracket in Radio pictures/videos Forum

Brett

Scary flimsy that one is.

I use some 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate and some aluminum angle stock and make up whatever I want for brackets of any kind whether they are mobile radio brackets or anything else.

Scary flimsy that one is.

I use some 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate and some aluminum angle stock and make up whatever I want for brackets of any kind whether they are mobile radio brackets or anything else.

So are you using nuts/bolts to attach the angle stock to the plate, or are you welding? Do you have pics?

Thanks,
Brett

No pix. I use aluminum angle stock and drill holes. Sometimes I use thru holes with nuts and bolts other times I tap the holes. Just depends on how nice I want or need it to be.

Pop rivets work with the angle/sheet method of making a 90* corner too, and gives a finished look.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.