• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fair trade?

RustDemon

Aug 21, 2011
so I was chatting around with a bunch of the locals tonight and I was talking about the other radios I had sitting around and how I was pining for getting my SSB capable galaxy up and running, and one of the guys asked what I had for spares and what shapes they were in so I told him, and he offered a trade, one of my linear amps and the ranger 6300, for a SSB capable unit. I said I was up for looking at it, and I would bring mine over for him to check out.

Once I got there he had the unit all set up we made a brodcast on it with responmse from one of the other guys out there. the damn radio still has the original everything. It is a Cobra 148gtl dx, owners manual, box, mic, power cord, mounting bracket, thumb screws. everything.

he took the ranger with NO cord, mic, or anything else, not even knowing if it works, and didn't want the amp because he already had that same one......

so I got working mint cobra 148 gtl dx, for a maybe broke but not sure, but definitely has no parts ranger 6300...

fair deal or what. I feel like I ripped him off, that ranger was worthless to me.

If he is happy with what he got from you, then you didn't rip him off. And the 148GTL DX
is a fine SSB radio. I have one and really like it. That is what trading is all about, each party being happy with what they came away with. Sounds like you both won.
trucker

If he wants that Ranger; just tell him the truth about it.

Didn't you say that you have two amps? Maybe he will trade for one of them?

I did, I brought them over and showed it to him. he knew exactly what he was trading for. He liked the ranger. or rather I think he wanted something different from the rest of the hundered and fifty of them he has sitting around.

Also I think a lot had to do with the fact that I had been talking to all of them on and off since I got on the air, and he just wanted to help me go side band. He's really nice, talks slow and repeats himself a lot so some of the others on the air tend to think he's dumb, but he is actually very smart, especially about electronics, he used to be a color t.v. repair guy. back when we still fixed them instead of throwing em out and buying new.

I have seen that before. Someone talks real slow so people think they are slow! I it is sad that people are so judgmental.

If he is happy with the trade then you did not do him wrong. It would be different if you had specialized knowledge about an items value and the other person did not and you planed to get one over on them! You did not do that he probably knows the value of what he has and what you have better then you do! Just keep in mind that he must like you and pay back the favor some time! You know if he needs help setting up an new mast or stacking a set of beams etc.....We all have some sort of talent we can lend to those that are nice to us sometime in the future!

Actually that would be the Cobra 148 GTL DX+ sorry but the + makes a difference. Darn fine trade for you no doubt. I would trade a 6300 for most any radio.....lol.

The + in a Cobra 148 GTL DX+ adds the freq counter.....like the Connex 4800. The 148 GTL DX looks just like a regular 148 but has 12 bands.

The 148 GTL DX looks just like a regular 148 but has 12 bands.

no it doesn't,
it comes standard with 3 bands, 26.515 - 27.855, if it's the pb010ab version, it is the radio all modern radios were cloned from. the exact same as the superstar 360fm.

still as good today as it was 30 years ago, sure it has some compromises in its design, but what radio doesn't have?

in mint condition boxed, here in the uk it would fetch funny money on e bay, it is one of the most sought after cb radios in the uk, holding legendary status. (god even an empty cobra 148 gtl dx box attracts huge money/interest.)

the 148 gtl dx+ by comparison is a heap of sh!t, that probably applies equally to the 6300.

did you do well out the deal? NO DOUBT.;)

because something is worthless to you, he may value it as much as you will soon value the 148 gtl dx.

if he's happy, job's a good un. chances are he's an old time ssb'er, knows exactly what the 148 gtl dx is, and wanted to give you the best possible start on ssb, there is still some decent guys left in our decaying hobby;)

listen about on it around 27.555 (ch 12 hi band) on usb, and you'll hear and with a decent twig be able to talk too the whole world on that radio,

they are pretty good at stopping bleedover too for an export, which is what made them legendary here back in the days of cb'ers every 50 yards, nowadays we don't need their adjacent channel rejection capabilities, but their ssb performance still leaves them highly desireable, in a marketplace where quality is fast being replaced by quantity.

I have seen that before. Someone talks real slow so people think they are slow! I it is sad that people are so judgmental.

its funny you say that, because on ssb i talk real slow too, as it helps foreigners understand easier, if i spoke in fluent glaswegian they wouldn't have a f@cking clue what i was saying.

as for people being judgemental, f@ck them, they are generally retards with far bigger problems than those they mock, the irony is they tend to pick on people who remind them of their own inadequacies, ie, gay haters being closet gays, those who hate drug addicts having an alcohol/valium addiction,etc, at best f@cking hypocrites, at worst just plain old TARDS.

they lack a life, so like to go around f@cking up other peoples life's.

outwith that, the guy could be on heavy medication for extreme pain, which could impair speech or a million and one other medical conditions, just because someone talks slow don't mean they are slow, very dangerous to judge someone like that, especially in a fight/gunfight,could be a fatal mistake, lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.