• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fall Scraper outing - Kern River/Sequoia/Isabella

FatHam

Staff member
Apr 15, 2011
So Cal
Henry's planning a fall outing but is posting impaired :headbang

Here we go...

Looking at October/November. Dates are open for discussion. We were looking at the 3rd weekend in October, but it looks like Ed/SBX is scorched on that one. Please discuss date possibilities among yourselves...

We're looking into a group of spots at Camp James on the Kern River, just North of Lake Isabella in the Southern end of the Sequoia National Forest.

campsite.jpg

Spotless clean, great fishing, close to the trail to Kennedy Meadows for you motorcycle queebs and RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Kern River Brewing Co. not that any of you would care...

There are full hookup spots with WiFi & cable TV and plane Jane tent spots. All of them shaded and either right on the River, or no more than a couple of hundred feet away from it.

Not a camper? PLENTY of clean, reasonable motels just walking distance from Camp James.

If you haven't been, Kernville is an hour outside of Bakersfield. 2-1/2 - 3hrs from the I.E. or O.C. Easy drive, even with a trailer or RV. Kernville is on the upper right corner of the map below.

kern county map.gif

Start asking questions and talking about dates...

Reactions: 1 person

For those that want to know, fishing on the Upper Kern River is excellent in October. The campground is located on the what is called the 20 mile section of the river, right in Kernville. The colors of fall should be in full bloom. Some good restaurants in town if you want to forgo cooking and the locals are really nice. My calendar is full till after November 2, so I won't be able to make it in October.

Also the map Mark put up shows the route from Bakersfield, I go the back route from Hwy 14, and turn on the 178 junction and head west. Nice drive through the desert and the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Much more scenic.

Kennedy Meadows is just a short drive away and also the Giant Sequoias. You can also ride your dirt bike from the trail head just up the road to Kennedy Meadows. It is not a beginners ride though. All single track.

Kernville really is your gateway to the Southern Sierra's. Come on out and enjoy this often overlooked gem.

This AM.. 8/19

I heard there was a fire in this region
Check updates PowerRangers !!!

Hate for it all to be cinders when you get there....

BIG B

Current Fires - Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks

You may be thinking of the Yosemite fire?

Of the weekends in October or November, this is the only weekend I have a previous commitment. The fun part is that it is about 25 miles north - right at the high point of the Western Divide Highway. It is for a weekend meeting that I cannot miss, I can't even spare the time to come down for a visit.

BUT I'm only a part-timer around here. I keep missing the breakfasts and such, all my fault for having too many fingers in too many things.

If you do it for the last weekend of October, that's the start of Duck Hunting season. Any ducks on that lake? :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?