• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Faraday cage

TITAN

Hey BEETLE-- ALREADY HAVE IT ASSEMBLED.. SON coming from CALIF tomorrow and will help push it up after I get it mounted on the tilt base.. Still haven't figured out how to put a 1.25" diam pipe thru a 1 inch PVC- SPLIT OR NOT...
HAVE SEEN A COUPLE OF FOX IN THE BACK YARD... Going to get me a FARADAY cage and catch one!!!
SKINNYDIPPER

Skinny - I had an old 1-1/2" O.D. pipe stub right next to the house that I used a LONG time ago for a Hy-Gain vertical which lasted a few years. Took the antenna down but the stub remained.

When I got the Titan, I bought a 3" galvanized nipple and some 2" I.D. Schedule 80 galvanized pipe. Attached the Titan to the large pipe, with the nipple on the other end. My son and I carefully stood the whole mess upright, lifted it a foot off the ground and slid it down over the stub! No actual metal to metal connection, but that "foundation" ain't going anywhere!

Conveniently, the large pipe passes within an inch of the eave, so I reinforced the eaves at that point and U-bolted the pipe to it, for stability. Winds in this area are almost universally from the south, and this is on the south side of the house, so the mast gets pushed against the house rather than away from it (which of course is good!).

Sometimes things just work out right! Good luck with your Titan!

BY THE WAY: Where's Alamosa in Colorado? My mom was from Burlington (Motto: "Not Kansas. Yet.")

ALAMOSA,CO????

Located at the intersection of 285 and 160 in the south west section of COLORADO about 75 miles north of the NM border..
When I retired in '96 we lived in CREEDE, CO. at just a bit below 9000 ft and just east side of the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE..
Loved it there.. Lots of deer, elk, bear , eagles etc..
Wifes health went bad so we had to move down in the desert valley closer to medical facility's.. Town of Alamosa is about 15k population and we still have deer in the yard every spring..
Sure beats HOUSTON .. Up here - I haven't been shot at ,attacked, strange females wave when you pass each other on the roads..Very peaceful and quiet..
Have the Titan up and secured w/ 4 guys and the winds this afternoon have been severely testing it.. Now to run the coax.. BTW- if you are interested look up AB0CA for more info..
Question-- where are you at???
Think I will do a post of an experience I just had concerning a shipment I just received.. CATCH YOU LATER FRIEND...

Hey Skinny -

You mean that little place between Cramer Rd. and Malouff Rd.?

(Ain't Google Earth great!) ;)

I'm in Bremerton WA, on the west side of Puget Sound. Seattle's about 25 straight-line miles to the west, and Tacoma's about the same distance toward the South/Southeast. Haven't lived here forever, just since '67. It sometimes SEEMS like forever!

Bremerton's pretty much an industry kinda city, with a large Naval Shipyard (where most of the people work in one way or another) (yes, including me). Not too much wildlife in the city limits other than raccoons. A deer or two, once in a while. And just since the first of the year, there have been about five black bears in/around Bremerton that have had to be tranquilized and "relocated". One of them was taken in a tree only two blocks from where my wife and I first lived when we moved here back in '67!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.