• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy 600 watt AB-1 Base

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
A friend of mine did some trading and got one. Amazing how fatboy can market a 1446 1x4 class C amp as a AB-1. Xforce makes a borderline class B amp but this Fatboy amp is total fraud. Works good but the biasing sure as hell isn't class AB-1 or AB. I own a few Class C amps and this amp is built the same way.

gold.jpg

Last edited:

i had one there psycho. worked but the swr input match in between the radio and amp was terrible. the power variable went out a couple of times. got rid of it. the texas star dx500v i go now i run in the house has great swr input and output matching and i dont have to listen to the noisy ass fan that was on the fatboy.

n8fgb,
No 'grid' needed, and there are three elements to a solid state amplifying device, just like there are with a triode tube. One of those 'elements' is the equivalent to a 'grid'.
- 'Doc

Base, emitter, collector. Care to guess?

Reactions: 1 person
n8fgb,
No 'grid' needed, and there are three elements to a solid state amplifying device, just like there are with a triode tube. One of those 'elements' is the equivalent to a 'grid'.
- 'Doc

Base, emitter, collector. Care to guess?
Ooo,Ooo,Ooooooo! I know Mr. Cotter.

and lets not forget and thermally tracked regulatory circuit for base voltage.

We need pics of the inside of this amp. Is it possible that the previous owner also got it used from someone and didn't know how to tell the difference between bias design just by looking at it?

Post pics pleeeze :) :), especially if we dealing with debunking a manufacturer's claims...it's only fair.

I was told the AB-1 FBs are far and few between...almost a custom order thing. I almost bought one (a mobile) at one point from a local guy that deals in them, he said they would need to build it. I decided to go with a Class c instead (sitting on the shelf).

this is not a 1by4 but a straight 4 pill 1446 amp i had one ..heres a couple pics for ya .mine arrived with the pre amp board falling off and a broken wire.oh...and dam..only 1 recitifier.i dont remember if it had a ssb switch or not .mine had toggles not buttons and a silver case .
fatboybasekn9.jpg

fatboy4pillbasetu8.jpg

fatboybasepreampboardii0.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.