• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy 600 watt AB-1 Base

What I don't understand (even more than the lack of biasing and/or lack of a negative feedback circuit) is why people use SD1446 transistors?? They're rated at 50 mhz and up! They'll WORK in HF bands, but that's not where they're designed to run. If they're going to build amps like that, at LEAST put some good transistors in, like MRF 455/454's, or the Toshiba 2SC2290's. They are rated for HF frequencies, at least!

~Cheers~

Fatboy 600 AB biased Base

This one is less than 6 months old. Can't imagine that they changed the configuration much between then and now.

Side note: I found it rather interesting that Fatboy positively charged the chassis on this unit to drive the fan. When you switch the power on, once the cover makes contact with the chassis the fan kicks on. The ground wire is physical to the chassis. So tell me, what are your thoughts on this practice?

Attachments

• DSC01630.JPG
    DSC01630.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01629.JPG
    DSC01629.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC01628.JPG
    DSC01628.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01627.JPG
    DSC01627.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
8pill base amp

A friend of mine did some trading and got one. Amazing how fatboy can market a 1446 1x4 class C amp as a AB-1. Xforce makes a borderline class B amp but this Fatboy amp is total fraud. Works good but the biasing sure as hell isn't class AB-1 or AB. I own a few Class C amps and this amp is built the same way.

gold.jpg

am looking for new base amp 8 pill ! New to base unit setup no clue. Running a CONNEX-4600TURBO OR RCI-2970N2 W/LMR400 COAX PLZ HELP OR REFER SOME ONE WHO CAN THANKS (344 aka ENERGIZER) from the LoneStar State:headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.