• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Faulty Spring

JCH

Jun 13, 2011
LA
So I noticed my receive would audibly and visually (on the S meter) increase after keying the radio after allowing the radio to sit without keying for a while. Come to find out the spring on my 102" whip was faulty - removed the spring and no more issue. Just another quirky deal that I thought might help someone troubleshoot a similar issue.

Are you going to replace the spring?

After all, you just changed the resonant antenna length . . .
Negative, was a little long anyway, close to 103" now which is pretty close to resonant per my research. Swr still good, 1.5 or so. Edit, resonant at 27.185 +/-

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
that is why i use a military/government surplus spring the wire that runs inside the spring will last a long time,,,,,bought 2 at state auction about 30 years ago,,, one still mounted on my ranger the other put away just in case

Yeah I found the antenna and spring on a gas well location, it's a nice stainless spring that I've used for a few years before it went bad, no complete short or change in swr with the spring in line. Just weird decreas in receive. Thanks to the knowledgable folks on this site I was able to figure resonant length and knew I was a bit long from the get go.

most spring have a wire on the inside .... if wire rust or breaks it will do like your problem,,,,cheap springs usually have this problem,,,,chrome springs usually,,, my springs are not chromed they are zinced or galvinized the best i can figure.....they are very heavy,,,and dont let the antenna lay back in the wind like some springs....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated