• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Favorite Radio from Days Gone by

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
Whats your favorite setup that you just like and enjoy. No logical reason needed it could your own workbench tune Cobra 29 GTL that you adjusted 27 times til you got it just perfect then topped the pots with wax and Dremel tooled the case screw heads, or the Pearce Simpson Bearcat 23 with the analog clock that sat in grand dad's living room. Mine is a Dynascan Cobra 29 23 channel, bought off E-bay, to my surprise when I opened it up it appeared to be a virgin. "She was probably lying to me," old school Dynamic Plus,got the 29 tuned up, DK set at 1 1/2 watts awaiting a amp someday. Still good reports barefoot despite low DK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

142 for a base and a 140 for a mobile. Better receive than a 2000/148 but give up the SWR and had to make a crystal purchase. My 35 year old 142 even with scratchy sound switches still has perfect receive. Wish my Ranger 70’s had the same.

President Washington was a bleedover King. I’ll never understand why?

858 President Madison with a Super Big Stick strapped to the chimney. Talked to Australia almost daily on that thing. But that was the 1980's.

Reactions: TheRATT
My 1st Grant XL. Nothing fancy, had a 2 watt d/k, & all the frequencies I could ever want (26.500- 28 000) unlocked clarifier, external continuous readout frequency counter, & was as clean of a modification job as I've ever seen!
Maybe I can replicate that one someday soon, already picked up a stock Grant XL....

74732010-7405-41A3-ACF4-FB5806E655E7.jpeg

Didn’t try to get my head around CB in the 1970s. Interest flashed by.

Then, flash forward, to 1997 and obtaining a CDL as a, “back pocket career”.

Earned enough starting in 1998 I bought a Uniden PC-76 from a T/A just barely north of St Louis. A pair of 5’ Wilson Silverload to mount on that flattop Freightliner FLD. (Ha, man was I proud).

Had Clay Thompson upgrade it to dual finals. Mate it to an RK56 mic.

This radio has never received anything but compliments and exhibited rock-solid performance throughout its working life.

In & out of easily a dozen or more vehicles, private & commercial from then until divorce and becoming a full-time Driver ten years ago.

Replaced it with a Galaxy 99v2. Then added a West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker. A broader & deeper world.

The PC76 was where I learned to use CB Radio as an effective tool in my work.

Not a week has passed that Radio has not increased or offset my income.

Not to mention kept me away or apprised of dangerous situations ahead or nearby.

I’d no more leave home without a CB than I would without my wallet.

This past ten days on the road has seen me divert off the Interstate due to two fatal accidents days apart well ahead of and routed differently than all other drivers save one or two, who, like me learned the language of fast interrogation and appraisal.

All owing to the faith which pilots and mariners accord Radio:

A voice that crieth in the wilderness.

Being able to return home unscathed is a bad assumption. About (20) drivers are killed weekly. Hundreds seriously injured.

— Had a team pulling doubles for Fed-Ex Ground yesterday. Tried to illegally block me from entering the passing lane (left lane hasn’t any ROW). Was a little surprised two white guys didn’t have a CB in a brand-new Evolution.

Was going to offer to get the State Police on the phone for them. Explain how the Interstate works. Their selfishness and temper-tantrum was gonna make things real personal they kept it up.

No fathers. Probably a baby daddy who didn’t much like them. No one hammered home risk-avoidance and that cooperation is a virtue. A baby momma who figured divorce — where violence didn’t exist — was her cover for whoring around. As she certainly didn’t love her children. (This is a fact without exception). Damage to them wasn’t important.

A radio on the dash, glowing:

That the act of LISTENING would have eventually gotten through.

Little is more fun as a driver than raking over the coals some selfish sonnuvabitch complaining about a slow pass he’s tailgating. Reading the Riot Act that others understand.

A CB gives a chance to man up.

One takes a chance in ignorance to look stupid maybe a moment, and someone will get your gear straightened out. Toss the unneeded & yank the shit out of ruck straps you make it home.

Cooperation is you make it habit to speak to the silences when moved. As others are also about ready to reach for the mic.

Don’t complain about silence. Speak. Mention the need to back off Echo. Adjust their mike gain. Use mile markers. Most drivers haven’t any good idea how they’re getting out.

For

“When two or more are gathered in my name”.

Is the radio action background. Put a smile in your voice.

I’d bet that’s the real subtitle of this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.