• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Again Denies Amateur’s Petition Regarding Station Identification

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
On May 18, the FCC denied a Petition for Reconsideration filed by Glen Zook, K9STH, that asked for changes in Part 97 regarding how often amateurs must identify themselves on the air. This action follows the Commission’s denial of Zook’s April 2009 Petition for Rulemaking requesting that the Commission amend Section 97.119(a) to change how often amateur stations must identify themselves, specif...

More...

That's interesting news. While I've always used my call when I first transmit looking for someone or just a general CQ (out of courtesy), I believe something like this could create problems in the future.

Sounds like a busy-body trying to spy on rule abiding individuals without having to wait for them to give their call sign.

Sounds like a busy-body trying to spy on rule abiding individuals without having to wait for them to give their call sign.

Glen has had a few proposals before the FCC in the past regarding ID'ing. I believe one was even to EXTEND the time interval between ID's to 20 or 30 minutes I forget which. This latest proposal was an attempt to close a loophole that failed to require that a station ID at the beginning of a transmission or contact. Current rules allow a station to answer a call on a repeater for example and talk for up to ten minutes without ever ID'ing. The same thing applies when entering an on going QSO. Many stations simply say something like "Good evening Fred" and go from there often not ID'ing until long after the 10 minutes are up. In some cases a station will come on a roundtable, chat and leave without ever ID'ing leaving thos who do not recognize the voice to wonder WTF thet were.

No it's not a case of a busy-body trying to spy on rule abiding individuals without having to wait for them to give their call sign but rather an attempt to introduce a bit more order into things.If people ID'ed when thay first joined a QSO they would not have to worry about breaking the rules by simply walking away from the radio and forgetting to ID when they leave. The proposal did have merit.

... This latest proposal was an attempt to close a loophole that failed to require that a station ID at the beginning of a transmission... leaving thos who do not recognize the voice to wonder WTF thet were... The proposal did have merit.

merit?? i gotta disagree. if people can't follow the current rules, then a new rule won't help at all.

there is no "loophole", the regulations are clear, id every 10 and at the end.

the real problem is that glen doesn't understand the fcc's defination of the word "communication", he thinks that every "over" starts a new "communication", the fcc defines the entire qso as one communication.

i can't remember exactly, but it was quite a few years ago that this is how the u.s. regulations were written, we were required to id at the start, every 10, and at the end.

if glen wanted to do something positive, he should have taken a wack at the contestors that never id at the end:bdh:,.... think about it, how many contestors actually id when the "qso" ends? the usual ending exchange is usually along these lines "ab1xyz you are 59, #1234, QRZ? contest" ......notice the lack of an id:whistle:

I like to use a kazoo and CW to ID. It's legal. Lost my kazoo though, and can't find another one. Rats!
I see no point in changing something that works just fine.
- 'Doc

merit?? i gotta disagree. if people can't follow the current rules, then a new rule won't help at all.

there is no "loophole", the regulations are clear, id every 10 and at the end.

the real problem is that glen doesn't understand the fcc's defination of the word "communication", he thinks that every "over" starts a new "communication", the fcc defines the entire qso as one communication.

i can't remember exactly, but it was quite a few years ago that this is how the u.s. regulations were written, we were required to id at the start, every 10, and at the end.

if glen wanted to do something positive, he should have taken a wack at the contestors that never id at the end:bdh:,.... think about it, how many contestors actually id when the "qso" ends? the usual ending exchange is usually along these lines "ab1xyz you are 59, #1234, QRZ? contest" ......notice the lack of an id:whistle:

In reference to the bold text quoted above,thefollowing was taken from FCC Part 97 subsection 119 paragraph A;

"
§97.119 Station identification.-
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every ten minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

Nowhere does it say anything about the beginning of a communication. Nothing. Nadda. That's the loophole I was talking about. Legally you could jump into a QSO and talk for ten minutes before having to ID.

Also in regards to contesters since the purpose of ID'ing is for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions, and since most contesters hold a freq sometimes for hours at a time and the transmissions are almost continuous there really is no need to ID after EACH contact as long as he ID's every 10 minutes. I'm not saying I agree with it but I can understand it. Besides contesters have many more rules to worry about breaking than the ID rule. :whistle:

In reference to the bold text quoted above,thefollowing was taken from FCC Part 97 subsection 119 paragraph A;

"
§97.119 Station identification.-
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every ten minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

Nowhere does it say anything about the beginning of a communication. Nothing. Nadda. That's the loophole I was talking about. Legally you could jump into a QSO and talk for ten minutes before having to ID.

Also in regards to contesters since the purpose of ID'ing is for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions, and since most contesters hold a freq sometimes for hours at a time and the transmissions are almost continuous there really is no need to ID after EACH contact as long as he ID's every 10 minutes. I'm not saying I agree with it but I can understand it. Besides contesters have many more rules to worry about breaking than the ID rule. :whistle:

I fail to see your point Mack. The argument is that nowhere does it say anything about ID'ing at the beginning of a contact. If one talks for 9 1/2 minutes and then ID's he is NOT making an unidentified transmission since he is following the letter of the law. There is no requirement to ID at the beginning. This very subject was pounded to death on qrz several months ago when Glen announced that he had filed a petition with the FCC about this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.