• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC CB license

AxlMyk

Feb 21, 2022
The Hartland of Michigan
Back in the 70s, when CB was out of control, the FCC was frantic to control it. Even issuing a license to those of us that obeyed the rules. At first they came up with some dumb adz thing to use your zip code and some other numbers to create your own temporary license. What a joke that was.
Anyway, I did get my official, government issued CB operator license. KOH 0995. I have it around here somewhere. Haven't seen it for years. Anyone else get one back in the day?

Last edited:

OH yeah. KANE-4109.
And I am thinking that the "temp" was your initials + zip code. That is stuck in my head somehow....
That's what I remember as well. If you can find a CB owner's manual from the mid 1980's (I think) it may have that info it.

I was alive and kickin' in the 70s. Had a RatShack copy-stick on the roof, a Cobra base and a FCC issued license which I believe was KBE5203, but I couldn't swear to that. By the time I received a callsign, no one was using them. Just handles.

CB may have been out of control popularity-wise but was pretty much under control regulatory-wise. At least it was in my area. Several locals near me had Uncle Charlie knock on their door and walk out with some of their toys. One had to lower his Moonraker to the ground after they measured his tower. Foot warmers were not tolerated for long, especially when you obliterated the neighbors TV picture with every key-up. Fines were not uncommon. It's easy to see today that somewhere along the line Charlie threw in the towel.

Reactions: S&W357 and walterjn
The first CB license was issued in 1947 when the band was in the 400mhz range.

Got mine, I believe, in the late 60s or so. KMK-0945. My older brother was one of the first in our town to have a radio in 1964 KRF-0824

Reactions: Naysayer and S&W357
I had. One back in the day also. Don't remember the call sign but I do remember receiving it in the may and shortly after the FCC discontinued license for CB. This had to be around 1980? Had it pinned to wall next to my CB.

In 1960, when I was attending Las Vegas High School (go Wildcats!) we had an electronics class split among LVHS, Rancho High and Western High. The teachers used CB to coordinate classes and class time. Vegas High was "net control", and the call sign, FCC-issued and all, was 11QØØ82 -- "Eleven Cue Zero Zero Eight Two". A one or two digit number, then either a Q or a W, and finally a four-digit sequential number.

The radio was a Hallicrafters.

KCS-4000 from 1969 or 70. Not sure, would have to dig it out and look. I do still have it. I keep all that stuff.

Then there were the REALLY old calls that were the first issued 11 meter CB licenses for a short while like 7Q2535 or 5W1934 for example, or something very similar.
They gave those out until the powers that be ( the ITU?) said hey those callsign blocks are not assigned to the US you can't use those.

Kinda funny that for all the demands the FCC put on the CB and hams to operate legally or we will GET YOU that they couldn't even figure out what kind of callsigns to issue!!

the call sign, FCC-issued and all, was 11QØØ82 -- "Eleven Cue Zero Zero Eight Two". A one or two digit number, then either a Q or a W, and finally a four-digit sequential number. [/qoute]
Thanks, cool stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I operated under my father's callsign (KKP0907) until I was old enough to get my own (KAFG9830). The FCC was "on the job" until the CB craze of the 70's, when they became overwhelmed and dropped the license requirement altogether. They seemed to stop policing the band about that time also, only responding to harmonic interference cases, where other RF services were effected.

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated