• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC cites amateur for failure to ID

Re: ID violation-10min time

K8PG said:
Well the FCC is out and monitering good deal you want to be an amateur radio operator Follow the Rules! You never know who is listening. With attitude like that you can stay on the
Childrens Band and PLAY

NO Official Observers do not have to much time on there
hands .The program is to help fellow amateurs who may have
technicle problems and to help find fragrent violators and
and to keep the Bands Clean.Iam an O.O. and proud of it
if your in violation of thr rules you might get a post card with
a friendly reminder of your stations operating (Good opr.Rpt)
or some infraction of the R&Rs that needs to be looked at or
corrected.

DE K8PG Paul CW LIVES -SKCC#118
O.O. The Sky has not fallen :usa
See my point........ comment like yours will not encourage a new HAM........ Flying off the deep end because of precieved rule violations. I have my Ham Ticket but I do not have will, strength, or time to be on gaurd alll the time. Ducking and dodjing from the Old grumpy HAM thats on the war path.... Pissed off because the FCC dropped Code and let the No Code Techs on 10meters. I just want to enjoy my hobby without worrying about some old jerk that is waiting for me to make a mistake so he can turn me in. In reference to the HAM that got cited I suspected there was more to his story.
No thank you... I'll take my chances on 11meters. I can enjoy my radio hobby there.

SEE YOUR POINT???

GOOD STAY THERE ON THE CHILDRENS BAND,I SAID NOTHING ABOUT CW ,YES A LOT OF OLD GRUMPY OLD TIMERS THEYLL BE SK SOON ENOUGH .SO CW IS GONE BIG DEAL,THEY SKY HAS NOT FALLEN-THAT CB ATTITUDE I LOVE IT HI HI HI HI

DE K8PG PAUL CW LIVES O.O.
CU ON 7.022-7.025MHZ QRQ 35 TO 80 WMP WK NGTS
OH CHICKEN LITTLE THE SKY HAS NOT FALLEN :twsted

I think if one is going to point out something they see wrong in another Ham operators error they shouild themselves follow the code they chose to adhere to by signing their license- The Amateur Code. This code deals quite a bit with attitude and behavior toward others. I have found that many Hams on the internet that like to demand the "Letter of the Law" have failed themselves in the spirit with which they cast judgement.

Some points in the Amateur Code-

"The Amateur is Considerate."

"The Amateur is Friendly.

They are supposed to foster "good will ".

When I get on Ham forums and read many of the legal beagles slamming others and jumping on someone about operating on "CB" I try to see how far these ranters of the "law" have strayed in their conduct according to the Code they are supposed to follow.
I would call these persons truly "NO-Code" operators. While not IDing properly is an important issue I think attitude and behavior toward others is more so.

No-Code or no class?
I have a question. What ever happened to teaching or Elemering new hams by old hams to increase interest in the bands?
All we mostly hear and read now is one ham slaming another ham that might think different or heaven forbid even disagree with someone else.
It's no wonder ham radio is dying.
Oh well mabe it's time for ham radio to go the way of the (insert your choice here) .

Well the ones that have a chip on their shoulder better smarten up and knock it off cuz there is fixin' to be a whole bunch of new operators comin' in from the people I have talked to. It will be the elders opportunity to do good by them and be a good elmer. This could be a good thing if they handle it right.

Re: This thread

station 716 said:
Hey Ron (Sonwatcher);
I am still 2 weeks from my exam, but I have to admit that I am surprised how the original post about the OP not ID'ing properly turned into this...
The lack of tolerance from both sides is bizarre.

My Elmer always taught me to respect and obey the rules, AND have fun in the process. That being said, I think the guy deserved this because what ham in their right mind doesn't know to ID at least once every 10 minutes?? (Notice I said "in their right mind...the person in question may have been medicated, drunk, etc...I don't know). And it's not that the ID requirement is difficult or hard to understand...it's one of the basic fundamental rules hams operate by. If he had gone 15 or 20 minutes without ID'ing, maybe a friendly reminder on air would have been appropriate. But an hour is way over the limit.

Now as far as the "old farts attitude":

I guess I'm an old fart in a way...36 years old, licensed for 12 years, from no license to 20 WPM Extra in two months--and yeah, I'm damned proud of it. What is the old saying..."What doesn't kill you will make you stronger??" Anyway, Dad was a radio operator in Germay in the late 50s (Rhien Main AFB, Frankfurt), so I guess I got the radio genes in the family passed to me--I spent a good deal of my youth looking at yellowed onionskin drawings of Army transmitters and recievers and listening to his stories of rainy nights in the Black Forest having to eat SOS out of a flooded mess tray.

My Elmer was a crusty old Extra (original call was a KA4 if that tells you anything) who was known for at least on one occasion getting zapped at the top of the tower one night by his Elmer, who was inside "tuning" at the time.

You newbies don't know how easy you have got it. You really don't.

And the attitude of the old farts isn't meant to offend or insult. It's meant to make you want to be a good operator. Ham radio is (and always has been) self-policing.

Hams historically have accomplished this by peer pressure and objective criticism. However, in today's society these words are not politically correct. What we used to do before to get people to obey the rules now is considered alienation, discrimination and persecution.

So when the old guard says "ham radio is turning into CB" in a way they are correct...if we can't point out anyone's faults, and have to be everyone's friends, then how can we enforce the rules??

Somebody's got to call a spade a spade, right?

As far as letting OP's know when they are messing up and putting their nose to the grindstone and helping and encouraging them to become better I agree. But I disagree that belittleing someone merely because they happen to talk on a CB, which is what many have done on the Ham forums, goes beyond what you have described and I personally don't think that helps someone "want" to become a Ham. If you own a Cadilac and I a Chevy you would entice me more by sharing the great things in the Cadilac. But if you stand there and just want to put down my Chevy and in turn begin to belittle my peron merely because I own a Chevy I would cease to be impressed by you or your Cadilac. I was impressed as a youngster by visiting Hams and watching and listening to them share how neat it was. Never did they belittle or put me down. Big difference. It is how you convey yourself to others. Something called charactor which reveals more than how much technical expertice you may have.

I agree 100% Sonwatcher. But when somebody says "Oh, I don't want to be a ham because they have all these rules and I don't want to have to watch my back all the time 'cause someone will report me if I screw up" all I have to say is this: it takes two to tango. Show the rules and the hobby a little respect, and I'll respect you. I'll Elmer you. I'll teach you everything I know.

But get your ticket and throw the rules out the window, tear up the bands with garbage for equipment, or behave like a general idiot on the bands...you will always be considered a LID in my book, and deserve whatever you get.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.