• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Fines Alaska Man for Interfering with Air Traffic Using CB Radio

No different than any other piece of reporting really. How often have you see commercial broadcast or cellular towers when there is a story about a ham radio operator on the news? More often than not those doing the reporting know nothing about what it is they are reporting on. Watch the news sometime and you will see that.

Except that reporters report, they don't give out fines. The FCC agent should know the rules he is trying to enforce, and be an expert in the equipment he is writing about. In my experience, most of the FCC agents wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CB from an 8 track tape player.

Except that reporters report, they don't give out fines. The FCC agent should know the rules he is trying to enforce, and be an expert in the equipment he is writing about. In my experience, most of the FCC agents wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CB from an 8 track tape player.

What's the typical age of the average field agent?

Last edited:
What's the typical age of the average field agent?

I have cross examined 6. All looked to be over 40 (they don't give out personal info, such as age, address, etc). Only one ever had an Amateur license, and he is the only one who ever owned or used a CB or Amateur radio. He also admitted the Ranger radios were legal if unmodified.

Reactions: 1 person
Wish he'd tell Ebay that Rangers are legal.

i wish someone would tell the scottish football association and the taxman rangers are legal, but sadly till that happens my beloved rangers will be demoted to the third division this year

as for the guy causing interference, go kick some fcc butt Shioda,;) 200w is what cb'ers should have been allowed from the start, and if it had been it would be built into radios by manufacturers that know how to bias rf amplifiers, and NOT supplied by aftermarket amp makers that couldn't give a toss about the quality of stuff they sell.

i wish someone would tell the scottish football association and the taxman rangers are legal, but sadly till that happens my beloved rangers will be demoted to the third division this year

as for the guy causing interference, go kick some fcc butt Shioda,;) 200w is what cb'ers should have been allowed from the start, and if it had been it would be built into radios by manufacturers that know how to bias rf amplifiers, and NOT supplied by aftermarket amp makers that couldn't give a toss about the quality of stuff they sell.

Spot on.

As part of the FCC's request for comments on changing Part 95 rules, Ranger has asked the FCC to increase the power on CBs. Others have too. In fact, one individual has asked that the FCC forbid manufacturers from making CB radios with less than 50 watts (I believe) arguing if the power is higher, people won't use amps and therefore won't have harmonic interference.

As part of the FCC's request for comments on changing Part 95 rules, Ranger has asked the FCC to increase the power on CBs. Others have too. In fact, one individual has asked that the FCC forbid manufacturers from making CB radios with less than 50 watts (I believe) arguing if the power is higher, people won't use amps and therefore won't have harmonic interference.

i would keep some poeple happy for awhile till everoyone has them then they will want more then the i have a bigger radio wars would start all over again.

The guy up in Alaska is likely the victim of the radio shop that "peaked and tweaked" his radio and turned it into a spark gap generator.
He most likely had no idea that the radio had spurs all over the place, and the amp he was using just made the problem worse.

Jeff

seems like a sensible way to progress,

radios fitted with tamper proof screws would be another sensible direction to head in once common sense prevails on the power/frequency allocation allowed to cb'ers.

26-28 mhz, allmode, 200w p.e.p and no antenna limitations would have been the sensible cb option, and with hindsight may have prevented much of the nasty transmissions that emanate from the 11m band.

the reality is for many years some tv stations that transmit pure pish that appeals to very few people get allocated several Mhz of the spectrum for their boring broadcasts, so is it really too much to ask for 2 Mhz of prime dx band, (which for the best part is totally unuseable for anything else anyway) so the thousands of cb'ers across the planet can communicate without fear of persecution from money grabbing authorities?

as an afterthought, quality low pass filters should also be a requirement for operation of a cb station.

As I posted in the other thread talking about this....

OLD Subject I know lol,
But most likely he was on 26.915 like he always is not on 21.965 or 27.025.
Funny thing is he got off with a $500 fine and changed his handle to Thunder Lips, pumped up the power and antenna, still doing his thing. Just waiting for the next visit lol.
And for the record it was an Xforce 2x4 base unit lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.