• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Fines Alaska Man for Interfering with Air Traffic Using CB Radio

Just an FYI. In order to cite someone for violating rules which do not involved licensed activity, one must first be given a written warning, called a citation. If after receiving the citation, one repeats the conduct, it is considered wilfull conduct. If no citation is given, the court will strike down the fine if the conduct involves unlicensed activity. The FCC agent went to great lengths to construe the CB rules as requiring a license, so he could dispense with the requirement of a citation. It is not going to work. Just another example of the bullying tactics of the FCC. In this case, I would represent the guy because I know that the FCC will be required to reimburse his attorney fees. What the FCC agent has done is what we, in the legal profession, like to call BS.

You put into better words what thought I was alluding to in my first paragraph.

Couldn't agree more . . .

That article was poorly written, especially in regards to the actual frequency of operation. Perhaps the willful part was in relation to his use of the amp and not in regards to causing harmful interference to the aeronautical band.

AS for someone asking how they knew it was him and maybe they just saw a CB antenna and blamed him.....did you actually READ the article? The FCC used long range HF detection equipment to isolate the town and then called in field agents from the nearest city who in turn used direction finding equipment to find his house after which HE ADMITTED IT WAS HIM. :headbang

AS for someone asking how they knew it was him and maybe they just saw a CB antenna and blamed him.....did you actually READ the article? The FCC used long range HF detection equipment to isolate the town and then called in field agents from the nearest city who in turn used direction finding equipment to find his house after which HE ADMITTED IT WAS HIM. :headbang

:oops:....... i missed or did not comprehend it the first time i read it.:redface:

my bad.

dirty signal in,

very dirty out...you amplfy anything you put in,so dirty in,very dirty out.We had a few get warnings in my area,for coming over the fire bands,the person was a half a block from the fire house and running a maco 750...and his buddy was a half mile away also...73 de JW

That article was poorly written, especially in regards to the actual frequency of operation. Perhaps the willful part was in relation to his use of the amp and not in regards to causing harmful interference to the aeronautical band.

He admitted that he was on ch.6 and nothing more. Bleeding over into the N.Atlantic?!? Maybe his spurs were actually messing with HAARP - lol!

If Shioda works this case, he won't be able to discuss anything until the case is settled anyway. Real details will come out then - IMO . . .

". . .An agent from the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau in Anchorage used direction finding techniques to locate the source of the interference. He found the source to be coming from Yamada’s residence and found that the interfering signal to 21.964 MHz was determined to be on 21.965 MHz, which correlates to CB channel 6 on 27.025 MHz; apparently, faulty equipment on CB Channel 6 produced a spurious signal on frequency 21.965 MHz, the source of the interference to frequency 21.964 MHz. A review of the FCC’s Universal Licensing System revealed that Yamada had no individual license to operate a CB radio station. . ."

Isn't that second harmonics, maybe third? You really have to splatter to cause it.

Isn't that second harmonics, maybe third? You really have to splatter to cause it.

The 2nd harmonic of 27.025mhz/ch. 6 would be 54.050mhz. This wasn't a harmonic; but a spurious signal that was created by the radio and then amplified by an amp. Y'know - channel bleedover caused by having more than 100% modulation. The biggest problem was in the radio - first - JMHO . . .

There is at least one glaring factual error in that report regarding frequency relationships to the CB band. It reads as if it was written and proofread by someone that has no idea about what they are talking about.

Reactions: 1 person
There is at least one glaring factual error in that report regarding frequency relationships to the CB band. It reads as if it was written and proofread by someone that has no idea about what they are talking about.

99 percent of people in the FCC don't know what the hell they are talking about. Agents have their pet peeves, and they throw their weight around to get what they want, legal or not.

99 percent of people in the FCC don't know what the hell they are talking about. Agents have their pet peeves, and they throw their weight around to get what they want, legal or not.

No different than any other piece of reporting really. How often have you see commercial broadcast or cellular towers when there is a story about a ham radio operator on the news? More often than not those doing the reporting know nothing about what it is they are reporting on. Watch the news sometime and you will see that.

"A review of the FCC’s Universal Licensing System revealed that Yamada had no individual license to operate a CB radio station. . ."

That part gets me, When do you NEED a license to operate a "CB"

Keep in Mind he was illegal with a amp and such but still

"A review of the FCC’s Universal Licensing System revealed that Yamada had no individual license to operate a CB radio station. . ."

That part gets me, When do you NEED a license to operate a "CB"

Keep in Mind he was illegal with a amp and such but still

I saw that but u just reminded me od that wtf since when do you need a license for cb ? Cb licenes were before my time then some.

No different than any other piece of reporting really. How often have you see commercial broadcast or cellular towers when there is a story about a ham radio operator on the news? More often than not those doing the reporting know nothing about what it is they are reporting on. Watch the news sometime and you will see that.

I typically find that the so called News is no longer News, but a contest for ratings. Factual information gives way to opinionated reporting. Adding an opinion not only makes stories more interesting. It is done in a way as to avoid having disciplinary action taken in the form of a retraction. Beware of words like "its believed to ...", "thought to have been...", "it is allleged...", "could be as many as..", etc. 24 hour news causes a struggle and competition that results in a sort of stacking of the deck. Most of us are too trusting and take things at face value. Expample: A catastrophe like a major fire happens, flip through different news stations to find different casualty counts with the "could be as many as" statement in front. They don't know, yet still broadcast it. It becomes a true, yet deceiving statement that keeps the viewer glued.

Reactions: 2 people
Ah, good point. I was thinking in thirds. I could see that happening closer, but that's some splatter that distance at 6 MHz

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.