• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Issues Citation to Canadian Company for Marketing Unauthorized Devices in US

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
On July 6, the FCC issued a Citation to New Generation Hobbies of Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada, for marketing unauthorized radio frequency devices in the United States that operate on restricted frequencies. This is in violation of Section 302(b) of the Communications Act and Sections 2.803 and 15.205(a) of the FCC’s rules. In the Citation, the FCC advised New Generation Hobbies to “take immedia...

More...

Does the FCC have jurisdiction over Canadian companies? New Generation does not think so.

What if the devices were sold by a Chinese company, similar to other "HAM" radio products? How would they propose to collect the forfieture?

Furthermore, how is an overseas company supposed to limit the marketing reach of their website?

Sooooooo....... Damn I cant even wrap my brain around this.

How in the hell can the FCC do this. We cant stop drug lords in other countries. However, you sell something that operates on a frequecy that the FCC determines illegal, and now you gonna get fined?

Shit if this is the case send the FCC against terrorism they seem to have more power then anyone else in the world.

Dude in some hate filled country, wants to blow something up. Wait till they talk on their radio or phone then send them a fine cause they could technically sell or offer to sell such phone or radio in the USA or to an individual in the USA. Then when they dont pay said fine send the LAPD after their asses.

So Now the FCC thinks it can step outside of the united states to try to enforce there misguided laws....Please, this is most outlandish thing they have tried to date.......they keep getting beat up in the US courts, so I guess they decided to try somewhere else.
You Tax dollars at work.

unreal

Jeff

Scare tactics. I doubt the FCC believes it can collect anything even if a NAL is issued later.

Shioda, I agree, this is right along the lines of sending company owners warning letters that some one told them one of the drivers hauling freight for them, is using modified radios.
I could never understand how the company could be responsible for what an independent driver does with his own equipment?
In my opinion it was a scare tactic to intimidate owners to put pressure on drivers.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.