• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Feed line question for 2 meter LPDA beam

bevis

Sep 28, 2020
I have never tried this so i wanted to get some input.

I have a specific need to use an ELK log periodic beam for 2m/70cm in a permanent installation that will be installed static.
I will never be turned. I need to use the lowest loss coax thats right for 2m.
The install will be 100 feet or less.
Power will be 50 watts or less.
Here is my idea.
I use LMR400 / Solid core RG8/ whatever .400/.500 OD coax as the main feed line up to the top of the mast that the ELK is going to be mounted to.
The ELK is less than 2lbs assembled and kinda delicate. The feed point is at the radiating end so theres no way i think you could use the big coax on that small beam out on the end of it without taking the chance that the coax destroys the beam from weight and flex.

Can i use a barrel connector at the end of the big coax run and then run a 5 foot piece of RG316 or RG400 ( something small and light ) out to the feed point on the Elk ? This is the only way i can think of to use low loss feed line and not take a chance of destroying the elk. I know that the barrel connection would have to be water tight. I dont know what the implications are of doing this.

Thoughts ?
Thanks

Good quality barrel...Silver / Teflon grade... mil-spec ...is fine. w/short jumper. Then LMR400 at 100 ft for 2/440 is about the limit.
Plenum/Fire rated is 1.5 DB loss in that 100ft. @150mhz (3db+/440 Half your power and RX)
UltraFlex 400 =1.8 @150 MHz (3.5+DB @440)
Remember loss is both directions, not just power loss/RX also
Keep as short as practical. I would be tempted to go 1/2-inch Superflex but just me...I am changing out my LMR400max this spring on my 6m antenna to 1/2" Superflex >75ft...and changing 2m to 1/2" hardline...just me.
With indoor antenna, even slight loss will only disadvantage you more.
My 2 cents
All the Best
Gary

Good quality barrel...Silver / Teflon grade... mil-spec ...is fine. w/short jumper. Then LMR400 at 100 ft for 2/440 is about the limit.
Plenum/Fire rated is 1.5 DB loss in that 100ft. @150mhz (3db+/440 Half your power and RX)
UltraFlex 400 =1.8 @150 MHz (3.5+DB @440)
Remember loss is both directions, not just power loss/RX also
Keep as short as practical. I would be tempted to go 1/2-inch Superflex but just me...I am changing out my LMR400max this spring on my 6m antenna to 1/2" Superflex >75ft...and changing 2m to 1/2" hardline...just me.
With indoor antenna, even slight loss will only disadvantage you more.
My 2 cents
All the Best
Gary
Thanks Gary

Just some other ideas...Log periodic antennas typically have lower gain, than conventional Yagi's
Plus, feedpoint farther back on boom, where not issue like "tip" feed antennas

:ROFLMAO::love::cool:

Well, I'm already in possession of 2 elks. If they don't do what i need them to do, I'll get yagi's. I really don't need the 70cm part of the equation but it's better to have it and not need it.
TY

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated