• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fiberglass antenna ?

what's your excuse for not responding to the question with a direct answer? as far as the information contained in the patents, except for the few here like marconi and others who have taken the hands on approach and posted their results here in this and other forums there's no other pool of information regarding the mechanical and electrical aspects of these antenna designs that equals (much less provides any clues) the content contained in the inventors original patent applications. your exaggerated appraisal of them is derogatory and without any merit. your lack of understanding of the principles involved is clearly motivating your critical opinions and i'm not interested in them.

Cartoon Man,

from a performance standpoint and in the mounting location that you have selected if the overall length is not inconvenient in any way for your particular application, go with the Francis CB28 / CB50. they are flexible enough so that when appropriately arced they can be clipped to the cab gutter on the same side for negotiating garaging and clearance and should still clear the 13' ceiling on the majority of gasoline/service stations around the country.

Marconi,

we will be discussing this and other related topics at greater length in the TE Forum. i'll respond to your previous analysis (kudos to you, at least you're thinking) there.

never seen one but i would like to try one,
come on freecell spill the beans, is it because the wires are three different diameters and lengths is the centre frequency the average of the 3 wires and broader than a single wire does there proximity make them capacitively coupled to each other and if so does that also make it look like a fatter radiator too?
if they really do work better than my regular 1/4 waves i want one, so how do they work electrically????? :)

freecell,
1. It was a direct answer, not an evasion in any way. Think about it for a minute.
2. Patents are not a source of always 'good'/'true' information. A quick glance at some of them will show that the granting of a patent is one of the worse forms of proof for anything.
3. Not taking away from Marconi or others in any way, but the information provided by the inventor always has to be 'examined' to see if it is correct, true, or in some cases just plain lunacy. It is the accepted method, sometimes called peer review.
4. As for these forums being the source of a 'pool of information' you are correct. Unfortunately, the contents of that 'pool' is not always correct.
5. Hands-on knowledge is nice, when possible. It is also not the only souce of legitimate information. Without the appropriate background that hands-on stuff is not always a 'good' source. It does show results, but seldom explains those results in an informed, logical manner.
6. You are correct about my 'derogatoriness' about some patents. That's the least they deserve!
7. Lack of understanding. I am certainly not an 'expert' and know everything about antennas. I do know a little bit though. The board of regents in this state also seem to think I know a little bit. Admitedly, that information is sort of 'old', but you also have to admit that there have been very few new discoveries about antennas in the last 75 years (and no, I'm not ~quite~ that old).
8. You're not interested in my opinions! I'm devastated! :)
- 'Doc

I say its time for someone to boney up the $$ for a CB-28 and a CB-50 and shave them down. Proof trumps theory!

I suspect that you will find that the CB-50 has three of the same size wires inside...and boy are they going to be small.

Since it appears the CB-28 is also using three wires now, my guess is that the patent has little to do with the manufacturing anymore.

Its just a guess, but a good one I suspect.

Now watch the personal attacks please!

Thanks all,

I think I am going to try the Fransis Amazer. I have always had good luck with the longer antenna, don't like the SS whip.
Now the way to go is with a spring and I may have to trim the antenna?

Doc, didn't you post on another forum? Uncle Jim's I think.... if so we have talked before.....

Freecell, post a picture of your tri-element mobile antenna and a little bit of the history. I know I've seen it before, but the others out here will enjoy it too!

i'll put it up here when i get a minute....right now i have a dissected cross-section of a pre-barjan CB50 in front of me looking at the conductor arrangement at a point exactly 73" from the tip. i'm looking for parallels between what i see and the patent notes.

i can say this for certainty, the patent number stamped on the stud is not the patent that the design i'm seeing comes from. the patent number on the stud is #3,596,273 but upon examination of the antenna itself the design comes from patent number #3,541,567. this is the internal configuration.

Freecell,

thank you. I plan on using a spring so I can bend and clip it down for parking. Do you think I will have to shorten it up (tune) to get the swr right?

What is Di-Bars?

thanks again....

Up date

Hi all,

just to let you all know, I went with the Francis cb-50. Well I can tell you the difference between the Firestck and the francis is great. The francis is a whole lot better, the ears are great, and TX, well made contacts in OK city from MI.... barefoot! I was lucky to get 40 miles with the Firestck on a good day....

Thank you everyone......

Free Cell,

it was the skipshooter 7' was the other antenna I was going to get but could not find any place in the area to get one, soooo I went with the Francis.

I still may try one when I get some extra cash and maybe try the Everhardt tiger 5' as well.

The Firestick is/was my oridignal antenna.... not the best MHO....

Thank you all......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.