• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Field Day Campout 2014

kg6hqd

Dec 4, 2013
Corona, CA
I booked the Juniper Springs Campground for Field Day 2014 from June 27th to June 29th. I'm taking reservations for those who want a spot. The total cost was $249 and for those who want to be there for the full 2 days, the cost will be $31 for both nights paid to me in advance. There are some limitations on the site such as only 8 vehicles (none over 25' total length) need higher clearance vehicles to get in there and max of 40 people camping. I have a few ways to get around the max vehicle limits but 40 campers only. Those who want a spot for their camp vehicle will pay the $31 and the others can chip in some how.

I've attached the link from SBNF for any questions you may have but read about here first.

San Bernardino National Forest - Juniper Springs Group Campground

So far I have the following:

Me

Simone

Bob - N6ADA

Dave - KD6HDX

Next????

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

I'm in with the Westfalia Campervan.

I can pick one or two other participants up along the way ... just have your tent, sleeping bag and radio gear waiting curb-side ...

The Westy might be a little slow making it up the hill, but it WILL get us there ... and back :laugh:

Let me know ...

:pop:

Last edited:
That's right. It DOES have four on the floor

4.jpeg

:love:

I just ordered some accessories for the Westy ...

... an 'Add a Room' tent (these things are awesome) ...

addg_2.jpg

... and a rear hatch privacy shelter attachment

AHG_6.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
There seems to be some concern about this location and the limitations. I made the reservation so we definitely had a place to go. The intent is to work together and DX on field day. I'm sure there won't be a problem getting equipment into the campground and working around some of the limitations. The road to park extra vehicles on "legally" is not far. You would be able to drop your stuff in the group site then park your car a stone's throw away and then hang out with us in camp. I'll be going up early on Friday morning to set up. I welcome anybody who has a concern about getting into the camp to cruise up the mountain with me and scope it out for yourself. I'm planning on going up there on April 13th and I'll assess the road and it's needs. I have quite a bit of experience off-roading and will tell you whether or not I'd take my stuff on the road. I do believe the road is fairly tame getting in and it's not that far off Highway 38 (approx 3 miles maybe).

This site may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's locked up for us. I hope we can make it work and enjoy field day together with as many that can come. I don't expect to be hassled by the rangers due to us being completely isolated from others. We can hit the apple pie, run generators all night if needed, and won't have to worry about other campers calling in the fun police to calm us down. This is supposed to be fun and my intention was not to exclude anybody (except Migtard and cock bird). I hope as I provide more information and pictures that most of you will be able to cruise on up and enjoy some frosty adult libations as we play radio.

Reactions: 4 people
I am in and can catch a ride with someone or just drop stuff off at camp and drive my car back to the legal parking area. I don't have much radio gear (nothing HF) but I am looking forward to meeting you guys and learning from the pros. Oh yeah, and some frosty beverages sound like a good time too.........

Report back to us and let us know what kind of vehicle is needed to access the campgrounds. Curious to see if sleeping in a small van I have is possible. Doesn't have much ground clearance. Thanks Jerry

I went and checked out the campground today. No problem getting your tent trailers in there as there is only one stretch of the road the is slightly rocky but less than 50 yards and definitely not worse than the "tough" section of Cuddeback. Trying to add the pictures to this thread from the album I created.

Paid so far:

Me - KG6HQD
Eric - W6GEV
Bob - N6ADA
Simone - K6DXN
Marc & Amanda - KK6HDU & KK6HUG
Mark - KF6IRK & Don - W6KLE
Bryan - K6BRY
Henry - K9KAO (Pending Simone paying)

There is plenty of space for other vehicles to park "near" the campground area but you will need a Forest Adventure Pass to do so.

Lots of big trees for antennas and open field area for verticals. I'll be buying a wood cutting permit and I'll cut up a ton of firewood for the large fire ring in the center of camp. There is a giant BBQ like you'd find at a public park but about 4 times the size. I'll scoop coals from the fire and use those to cook with on the BBQ. The vault toilet is super clean and the tables are in great shape.

The turn off to 2N01 is 1.5 miles downhill from Onyx Summit on Highway 38. Once you hit the dirt you have 2 miles to the campground. Road is a piece of cake and you can hit the Big Bear machine with an HT in camp and I had cell service in camp too. I'm betting we can get creative and set up something to hit the 449 machine, but I'll divert that task to the uber propeller heads.

Last edited:
dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?