• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Filters

Montana Bauman

May 3, 2017
Central Texas
Hey Guys what Filter would you recommend to slap on a handy talkie to filter out noise from a vehicle. I have the tendency to get noise from the alternator do to the high pitch wine on 2 Meters and its with in the Car. Running Yaesu VX8-DR with 5 Ft coax cable on a diamond SRH 940.

Thanks,

Montana

20170531_112002[1].jpg

I am assuming that you have the HT plugged into the vehicle to power it when you hear the noise. Yaesu makes a filtered DC power cord for that I believe. If you simply run on the internal battery pack do you still get the noise? I have seen some car charging cords generate a horrendous noise. I once had a DC cord that powered some long forgotten device and it caused all sorts of noise across the entire VHF spectrum rendering my 2m mobile radio almost useless. Needless to say I ditched that piece of garbage and found another one that did not use a switching type voltage converter/regulator in it.

actually im running it straight from the handhelds battery pack. just using it if i was mobile on foot. but when the car is off i can get great reception, like 30 miles but car on goes to 0.

actually im running it straight from the handhelds battery pack. just using it if i was mobile on foot. but when the car is off i can get great reception, like 30 miles but car on goes to 0.

I am about 99.99% sure it is NOT the alternator then. It could be fuel pump or ECM. Turn the key on but do not start it. If the noise is present for a second or tow then goes away it's the fuel pump. If the noise is there and stays with out the motor running but the switch in the RUN position it is the ECM module most likely. Alternator noise is almost always conducted noise thru the wiring and not radiated to be picked up by the antenna.

Good Morning Gents, Ok from turning the key to the fist position, I get static right away and does not subside. Turn key to 2nd position then I still get continuous static.
does the noise change when the vehicle changes speed?
To answer that it depends on the frequencies I am on. It does subside a bit on somethings but other than that perty consistent.

Good Morning Gents, Ok from turning the key to the fist position, I get static right away and does not subside.

This proves it is not the alternator since the alternator is not turning at this point. It also indicates the problem is not the fuel pump as the pump should run and pressurize the system in a couple seconds and then shut off until the vehicle is started. At least that is what happens in any vehicle I have had.

Turn key to 2nd position then I still get continuous static.
To answer that it depends on the frequencies I am on. It does subside a bit on somethings but other than that perty consistent.

This sounds like it it is the ECM computer in the vehicle and the problem has to be cured at the source. No filtering will cure it as any filter will simply reject the wanted signal on the same frequency. You have a stubborn problem. The case of the ECM may not be grounded very good so see is you can back off the mounting screws and retighten them to make a better ground connection. You may even have to wrap it in metal foil and ground that to solve the issue but that would be a last resort.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?