• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

filters

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
crystal or mechanical filter? looking to put in one for SSB on my ft 847 been looking at the inrad web site but i was wondering how narrow to go 2.8 or 2.1, i'm trying to eliminate some of the qrm on the bands it's only going on the rx side i will leave the tx stock. tnx 73 :?

I got one of the Collins mechanical SSB filters for my FT-847.
I think it has helped a bit with receive.
I understand that people will argue the Inrads are better and narrower, but the downside might be that it affects the "quality" of the signal received. Too narrow for some.

I would guess a 2.5 Khz filter would be a good compromise but I am happy with the 2.8 khz Collins. I will get one of their CW filters when the funds are available.

In any case, I wouldn't be too quick to spend full price for any of these filters. I got mine off eBay for MUCH less than the usual list price. That makes it well worth it.

more than likely i will go with a 2.8 but it probably won't be a mechanical from collins, i'm not in a hurry because i want to swap out some other parts to lower the noise floor when i put that in. :D

actually yes i was but it seems that the specified diodes aren't at rf parts so i need to see if the latest version will work. i know that it does work great in my mobile 2510 i couldn't imagine having one without that mod now. i have also done it to a few other radios with good to excellent succes so it should be a good improvement. i just ordered the parts so hopefully i'll have it done by next weekend. but i will post the results. 73 :D

:D well i finally got around to installing the new inrad 2.1 crystal filter it made so much of a difference that i thought i broke the radio. WOW! i should have done that 2 years ago!
i was actually able to copy a n1XXX out of conn. on a par OA-50. he was barely above the noise with the preamp on before the install, after he was about a 5,8 it was nice to actually get the dsp filter to work now.

Thats cool.
I put the Yaesu (Collins) filters in my 847 and it seemed to make my receive far more pleasant to listen to.
I also find the DSP a bit more useful now.

I have come to like my FT-847 a lot more in the recent months since I got my general ticket and the Collins filter. Previously, I found the receive on HF to be harsh and hard to listen to, but it is now very useable and I do like the overall performance of the rig. of course, the crystal filter would provide even better performance and your results are encouraging.

:D you are right about the harsh to listen to for extended periods now i actually leave it on at night, now i have to find a newer computer for my super control program

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.