• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINALLY DECIDED ON A NEW RIG!!!

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
Well after much thought and research i finally decided on a New rig!! First i was looking at the Kenwood Ts2000, it was priced very well and has ALOT of bang for the $$$..but decided it wasnt the rig for me! So after all is said and done we have decided on the ICOM 7700...the wife is going to kill me but hey, it Christmas and i better do it now while she is all chipper and happy!

zic-7700.jpg

WOW - Congrats!

Hope she doesn't turn your gonadicles into a coin purse for that - lol!

Very nice rig!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
YEAH I AGREE...im in the safe zone with buying the 7700..BUT if i were to get the 7800 i wouldnt have to worry about her trying to compete with my hobby..:LOL:

Well i am excited..i hope it meets my expectations and im sure it will!! I was looking at maybe getting a used Yaesu Ft 2000D for the longest and almost pulled the trigger on one..but decided on the icom!!

For the time being im going to run a Carolina windom with it till I get my tower (or ers) up later on next year! will see how the internal tuner works first before I jump the gun on the palstar !! Will more then likely be running a Heil Goldline mic with GM5 element for starters and hope I don't have to change ! Will mostly be on 160M because most of the locals hang out between 1916 and 1919, but being the HAM I AM I will be jumping around different bands and probably start stretching my legs around 10 meters SSB again ...wonder what my wife would say if I asked her in my nicest most humble voice if I could purchase that Alpha amplifier Ive been dreaming about everynight, and she thinks it is because of her I have been getting morning "WOOD" every morning..:LOL:

For the time being im going to run a Carolina windom with it till I get my tower (or ers) up later on next year! will see how the internal tuner works first before I jump the gun on the palstar !! Will more then likely be running a Heil Goldline mic with GM5 element for starters and hope I don't have to change ! Will mostly be on 160M because most of the locals hang out between 1916 and 1919, but being the HAM I AM I will be jumping around different bands and probably start stretching my legs around 10 meters SSB again ...wonder what my wife would say if I asked her in my nicest most humble voice if I could purchase that Alpha amplifier Ive been dreaming about everynight, and she thinks it is because of her I have been getting morning "WOOD" every morning..:LOL:

I wish I had the space for 160. Gotta get my General before I can really cry about it, though! The Goldline's sound real nice, I have a friend with one and he runs it on his 746 Pro. He also has the Palstar tuner, I can't remember if it's the big dog or the medium dog. Really nice though, and he says the meter reads pretty accurate too. No doubt on the Wood, but I wouldn't tell the wife. ;) You've got a really nice setup, and an Alpha would be the icing on the cake! Pics please, when you get time. :wub:

Brett

Well as soon as i get it all setup i will take many pics for sure...dont think i can swing the Alpha right now, thats going to have to come next christmas or mid life crisses..witch ever comes first!!i will probably just stick a Heathkit SB220 behind it untill then. Yeah the Heils can sound really good if set up correctly!!

Reactions: 1 person
love to have one but that's a hell of a change from what you were first looking at. from a radio like the 2000 that can be had for around $1400 new to a $9000 radio is a big step.

The kenwood ts 2000 is a nice rig and priced very well...after all was said and done i went with the yaesu FTDX5000 with was only $5400 (without all the adds)....the icom was such a nice rig but after playing with the 5000 and the 7700 (not the 7800 witch is $9000) it came down to a preference!!

What you are saying is somewhat true...but it will have to do till i get my towers up later in the year...then i can be compaired to a ZRI corvette or callaway twin turbo...

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.