• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally got my 102" back up

roadrage

I had my 102" on the roof of my 2500HD. After banging everything in town 500 times, it had to come down. I used the roof mounted ball mount for my 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna. I put my Wilson 1000 back on as a temp until I could get another ball mount to remount the 102" lower. I purchased some LMR 200, soldered some Amphenol PL 259s. I put my TNT 600HD back in the truck on the front passenger side floor. SWR with the amp on wouldn't get any lower than 1.9:1 with the Wilson. That is with a 125W dead key out of the amp.

Finally, I finally had some extra money to buy a stainless steel ball mount and some 4 ga wire for the amp. I spent the better part of this morning completing my install. Its about time too, because its been months.

I swapped my 2m and CB power wires from the main battery to the secondary battery. I removed the 4 gauge battery cables, I was using for my amp power leads, from the secondary battery. I ran my new, high strand, 4 gauge power wires to the main battery. I installed the wires along the frame and drilled two 9/16 holes under the rear seat for the power and ground to the amp. I moved the amp under the rear seat on the driver side. The 2' ground wire bolted right to the frame (cleaned a spot to bare metal for good connection.

I dug out my ball mount and tools. I was going to mount the hustler ball mount on the inside of the bed at the front stake pocket on the passenger side. I changed my mind and decided to mount it right in the center of the front bed rail. I think it was a good choice too.

I then dug out my LMR 200 coax, Amphenol connectors, and soldering tools. I made up 2 6' jumpers and another length from my meter to the ball mount. I hooked everything up and found one of my pl 259s wasn't done well, as I kept loosing static and SWR would spike when I moved my meter. I re-soldered it and now there is no problems.

My Galaxy 95t2 is out for repair and I borrowed my Uniden Grant XL from my fishing truck until my big radio gets back. But with my Grant's variable power at max, I have 100W dead key out of the amp my SWR is 1.3:1. My peak output is only showing 220W with that radio at full throttle so I run its variable power at 3/4. I am getting 50W swinging 140W. That is the closest I can get to a 1:4 swing ratio.

My Galaxy 95t2 was tuned to run 1.5W dead key at low power. With the variable power at 1/4 on the Galaxy, the amp would dead key 125W and swing 500W peak. I can't wait until that radio gets back and everything will be done until I upgrade the amp to a DX 1600

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.