• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

finaly hanging dipole need advice

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
Ok I'm finally gonna hang the dipole. Here's my questions. I basically want to use it for local transciveing. Which I learned from all your help that stringing it vertically is ideal. Im gonna string it from a tree in my yard. This is where the problem comes in. The highest branch is about 21ft. So the dipole being 18ft would only be about 1 to 2ft off the ground. On the other hand there is another branch about the same hight as the pre mentioned 21ft. Thats about 30ft away from the the first branch. Would I be better off stringing it horizontaly. In the case of it being horizontal it would be 21ft off the ground. Verticaly the top 9ft half of the dipole would reach from the feed to the branch. The bottom half from the feed to the ground. I will be using a sonar 2340 with about 300-500 watts. So what are the advantages and or disadvantages if any on vertical or horizontal?TThanks again good people.

By 'local'
I assume most of those locals will be using vertical polarization. So, hand the thing vertically. Being that close to the ground isn't going to be a benefit, but it's not going to be that much of a detriment either.
How about hanging it in an 'L' shape? Any possibility of that? Or, add another leg on that bottom side and make it a 'Y' shape?
- 'Doc

The whole thing about amateur radio is the fact that you can experiment. And the world of antennas is a great place to start. See what works well and what doesn't. Learn and apply what you learn to your NEXT antenna.

I'd hang it as an inverted V. Should work good for local and DX, and you're "shortening" it to 9 feet each side at a 30 to 45 degree angle, so you should still be a good 12 feet off the ground at the ends. The inverted V is considered a vertically polarized antenna.

About your polarization question: For the most part, vertical = good for local, horizontal = good for DX. But that's not a hard and fast rule! Propagation does weird things to signals, and often flip flops them. That's why I like to have two antennas, one vertical and one horizontal, with a switch to change back and forth.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
" The inverted V is considered a vertically polarized antenna. "
Only by those who don't know what they are talking about...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
While an inverted VEE may radiate a vertically polarized signal off the ends it radiates a stronger horizontal signal broadside too it. It is neither a vertical or a horizontal radiator but rather a radiator of both at the same time of differing intensities in different directions at the same time. Whew! I think I said that right. :blink:

" The inverted V is considered a vertically polarized antenna. "
Only by those who don't know what they are talking about...
- 'Doc

Sorry Doc, it was my understanding that the V was more vertical than horizontal, expecially at a 30 to 45 degree angle. When I used my dipole in the inverted V shape, it certainly received local vertically polarized signals better than it did when mounted as a flat top. If you have some information and sites to link to, I'd appreciate it.

RT307

I was very pleased with my 10 meter inverted V that I had. I was still able to chew fat with friends in surrounding towns.

I don't get all anal about theory and such. I just build and hang. If I can talk on it, I'm happy. I've been building, hanging and talking for many years. If I have a crooked install, or I'm close to something that I know will interfere, I don't wet my pants and obsess. Just hang the thing and try it.

There will always be the purist that have to beat the drums of theory. Some guys get so nervous about their install environment, they pass on putting anything up.

Reactions: 2 people
thank u all

Thanks m42duster your qwizie confushin like answer has made my decision easy. INVERTED V IT WILL BE! P.S. don't make fun at my spelling. You know what I mean. Bad spellers of America untie. Did you say unite? read it again.

I run a fan dipole which is a fancy way of saying an inverted V with lots of extra wire. When I first built it I purchased the balun, got the wire at Menards and in about 30 minutes I had my original 10 meter V up. It was up for a couple of years when I lowered it and removed the 10 meter wire and added wire for 17, 20 and 40. Back up and on the air, SWR's are below 2 and I am happy with it.

As M42 said don't get caught up in the therory, just build and raise and talk.

Thanks m42duster your qwizie confushin like answer has made my decision easy. INVERTED V IT WILL BE! P.S. don't make fun at my spelling. You know what I mean. Bad spellers of America untie. Did you say unite? read it again.

Hey Stellasarat, ....m42.... has a way of cutting to the point very easily, and has lead me in the right direction several times, and not even known it. He is one of the several people here that I will always read their thought's. I think we owe him a 6 Pack (y). CD Vaughn, God Bless

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.