• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FireStik Fire Ring and high SWR

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Just a note. I recently after almost 3 years noticed that my SWR was swinging abit up to like 3-4 on the built in meter on the AT6666 I have even with low power setting. Normally it sits a 1.2-1.3.

So I checked continuity per normal and got good results at the rig.

Figured let me check the back where the antenna is

I took the fire ring off and noticed some oxidation on the rings of both the ground and the positive rings.

I cleaned the "rings" with a flat blade screwdriver and now SWR is back to the normal flat 1.2:1 I use to get even on fulll power.

I can be the only one to have this happen??

Couldn't find a lot on this issue on Ggle. Only mentions of cracked fire ring strain reliefs.

Corrosion a standard problem for the hobby (as with cars, boats, etc). Taking things apart to inspect and clean should be on a schedule.

0000-steel wool, crocus cloth, and other lightly abrasive materials are good to keep on hand for this. I add toothbrush-style steel and brass brushes — sort of, whatever I come across — for the GP lube & cleaning kit.

A Dremel tool can be just a little TOO handy if the wrong implement installed. But when Im cleaning all the grounds on the pickup it helps make short work of it.

Ideally, one cleans the corrosion off without gouging or scratching the surface beyond what is necessary.

The FireStik gear is no better or worse than others. Bare metal will have a reaction to air and anything in it.

Reactions: CB590
I can be the only one to have this happen??

Can’t say for the fire ring, but not surprising.

Had a similar issue with a Wilson not too long ago. Only a couple months old, and the threads where the whip holder screws onto the coil were completely corroded. I was pretty surprised, as I’ve seen these antennas used for years with no maintenance. Maybe some cheap Barjan pot metal in mine, lol.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated