• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firestik Fire-Up 99 Has anyone tried one.?

Update

I still have the A99 with the Firestik FS99 Fireup top section and SS 102" ground radials with GPK setup. I am getting great skip reports with this antenna configuration. Anyone else with a similar setup care to comment or anyone wants to put their two cents in is welcome.

I have an A99 with the Firestik tip. I compared it head to head against a Workman Bandit, Radio Shack/Archer Crossbow 1/2 wave, a Shakespeare 176-1 marine "Big Stick", and an IMAX2000.

The Workman Bandit is a copy of the A99. It's performance was virtually identical to the A99.

For local communications, the 5/8 wave IMAX outperformed all of the others. That makes sense since it was the sole 5/8 in a field of half waves. Among the 1/2 waves, the A99 with the FS-99 outperformed all others for local work - coming in just a little stronger than the A99 with the stock tip.

For skip, the A99 with the FS-99 tip outperformed everything else. The stock A99 came in a close second. The Bandit performed just like the A99. For skip, the IMAX2000 came in behind the A99 & Bandit antennas. For both skip and local, the Crossbow and Big Stick - which I understand to be basically the same antenna - were the poorer performers.

I found the FS-99 to make a difference for the better, but it did not bring my A99 to work as well locally as a true 5/8 omni. For skip, the A99 performed best regardless of which top section was used - doing just a little better with the FS-99 tip.

I was looking at a Bells CB YouTube video and it's got a great infomercial about RG-213 coax.
Here's the website: ABR Industries

YouTube channel: RG213/U Mil-Spec - YouTube

Their RG8X has only a 1.4 DB loss per 100 ft. At 30 MHz.

Lil'Yeshua this is an old thread, but here is what ABR Industries operations looks like in real life. They are located in the first suite near the street, and are just a few blocks from my home in Houston.

I've also done business with Bells and find them completely reliable in all respects.

What I post here is not meant to imply ABR is a bad operation, but it may not be what you might have thought.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...=kgEWfl85LmpmcWzkJfZ_1g&cbp=12,137.03,,0,7.08

Lil'Yeshua this is an old thread, but here is what ABR Industries operations looks like in real life. They are located in the first suite near the street, and are just a few blocks from my home in Houston.

I've also done business with Bells and find them completely reliable in all respects.

What I post here is not meant to imply ABR is a bad operation, but it may not be what you might have thought.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...=kgEWfl85LmpmcWzkJfZ_1g&cbp=12,137.03,,0,7.08

Thanks for the heads up

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.