• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firestik KW7 as a Base Antenna

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
I am current running a vertical bent dipole with 102 inch whips with springs as the legs at just 16 feet height of mast. I am very pleased with the results. Going to take it done soon to update and weather proof the coax. I had decided to route the coax different that originally planed and end up with about 20 extra feet of RG 213 to accommodate. Back to the question. I was just curious about the big Firestik. Was thinking about using the 102 inch whip in another project, so debating about trying KW7 in its place as the radiator leg after reading the comparisons made by Firestik to the 102 inch. I have made skip contact with the 102 inch whip base station and have done none skip conditions about 40 mile limit. Any experiences. Thank you

If you already have a horizontal dipole; then run another antenna on another piece of coax with that 1/4w whip and and antenna switch.
That will yield more communication traffic.
But if you could get them both up at least 20ft/higher, that will be better still.
If you are going to do that, get a good antenna switch ('rolling block' type) too, as that is way better than the cheap switch ones - by far (about~$30 ship/incl).
Google
MFJ 1702 Antenna Switches MFJ-1702

Last edited:
I had a KW7 or it's older brother back in the 70s. I used it on my Econoline Ford Van. I did a signal test with it and the one I was using then was outperforming my 96 inch fiberglass CB antenna by one S unit. I was pretty happy with its performance. I have misplaced the KW7 over the years but I still have the old 96 in fiberglas whip today. I am glad to say it is still in various uses today. It has even been a good performer for a 10 meter vertical antenna on my house roof.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.