• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First DX on LSB

Thats great.. Enjoy 11 meters it can be a blast

w9cll, I am not saying anything personal, it's just my own opinion as clear as I can make without pussyfooting around the issues.

I have been enjoying it since the late 70's and even I can not understand why I have no personal interest in the other bands. It does sound a bit weird, cause my dad was a Ham and as a kid I use to go to all the weekly meetings with him in the early 50's after the war, and I even worked up to 3 words a minute, or more, but I just did not have the spark for it, even then. The antenna design part of the meetings did interest me very much, but I never learned the math to make it anything beyond a general knowledge kind of thing. It's useful now though. :)

CB is a poor and busy man's hobby. I do not have the time or the inclination to get any kind of ticket or add myself to any government hit list by being a registered user of a radio. And I certainly do not have the money to ever buy the high priced equipment or antenna masts and tops it would take to make Ham bands a useful part of the hobby. Take it as a given, that if people really wanted to be Hams, that as easy as they make it to get a ticket, more people would do it without all the nattering on about it. ;)

All the evangelizing in the world will never change that. I, for one, am just not interested in anything beyond 11 meters.

I hear this from the paranoid types all the time. Believe me the government already has more info on you than they could EVER get from you obtaining a ham radio license. In fact they gain NOTHING from you getting a ham license. As for a registry, all you need is a PO box as a way to be contacted by the FCC should that need arise. No physical address needs to be on file or made available on public databases like QRZ.com. The government already has that info from your employer records or your social security records or your drivers license or your....................

As for cost, my first ham station cost me $150 of which $125 was for an older tube type TX and TX and the other $25 was for antenna wire, insulators, feedline etc. Cost is no excuse. A really good used solidstate ham radio can be had for what the cost of an new export radio costs.Really good antennas can be made from scrap wire for pennies.

Google Earth measuring tool is great to find distances and bearings.

Wow, just found this one to add. A very nice site about the Sun and Sunspots. http://www.spaceweather.com/

I like this one: How Far Is It Between

I also use this now and then for more details: Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using Haversine formula in JavaScript

For Information overload, I use this: Longitude and latitude calculator

This is a backup, ;) : Latitude/Longitude Distance Calculation

I do like Google Earth though, I just don't like Google sniffing at everything I do.

Last edited:
I hear this from the paranoid types all the time. Believe me the government already has more info on you than they could EVER get from you obtaining a ham radio license. In fact they gain NOTHING from you getting a ham license. As for a registry, all you need is a PO box as a way to be contacted by the FCC should that need arise. No physical address needs to be on file or made available on public databases like QRZ.com. The government already has that info from your employer records or your social security records or your drivers license or your....................

As for cost, my first ham station cost me $150 of which $125 was for an older tube type TX and TX and the other $25 was for antenna wire, insulators, feedline etc. Cost is no excuse. A really good used solidstate ham radio can be had for what the cost of an new export radio costs.Really good antennas can be made from scrap wire for pennies.

LOL, believe it or not, I don't care, I am not interested, it's... how do I say it with tact? It's BOOORRRRINGGGGGG....... :love:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.