• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First impression of the combined current, volt, and watt meter

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
It appears to be much easier to hook up than you would imagine. Two lines in two lines out. Others I have require two power supplies. One for the meter to run on and one to supply power for the unit under test.
This one is unique because it only requires one power supply for both functions. All test connections are made internally. Put the power in and attach the wires to the unit under test. Pretty simple and small too.
The only concern I have is attaching wire of sufficient diameter to carry the rated current of 20 amps. I have some preliminary photographs for your perusal. More detail and technical testing will come soon.
I ordered mine from a distributer on eBay that is located in Walton, KY. Fast shipping and stocked here in the U.S. They have multiple versions available. AC power in and out, and 100 amp unit that uses an external shunt for the higher current requirements.

20170815_081558.jpg

20170815_081451.jpg

20170815_081514.jpg

The size of wire to carry that 20 A of current depends on how long the run of that wire is. The longer the run, the larger the conductor. If it's fairly short, 10 - 20 feet or so, #14 should handle it. About the same size of wire as the typical power cord for the radio, maybe? Will the load draw 20 A, more/less?

The size of wire to carry that 20 A of current depends on how long the run of that wire is. The longer the run, the larger the conductor. If it's fairly short, 10 - 20 feet or so, #14 should handle it. About the same size of wire as the typical power cord for the radio, maybe? Will the load draw 20 A, more/less?
It depends on what you are running on the backside of the meter. If it's just one radio with 100 watts out it will not be excessive for the meter. But if there is a large amp involved it would be over range pretty quickly. In excess of 250 watts would be close to out of range.

Last edited:
It appears to be much easier to hook up than you would imagine. Two lines in two lines out. Others I have require two power supplies. One for the meter to run on and one to supply po20170818_133551.jpg 20170818_133646.jpg wer for the unit under test.
This one is unique because it only requires one power supply for both functions. All test connections are made internally. Put the power in and attach the wires to the unit under test. Pretty simple and small too.
The only concern I have is attaching wire of sufficient diameter to carry the rated current of 20 amps. I have some preliminary photographs for your perusal. More detail and technical testing will come soon.
I ordered mine from a distributer on eBay that is located in Walton, KY. Fast shipping and stocked here in the U.S. They have multiple versions available. AC power in and out, and 100 amp unit that uses an external shunt for the higher current requirements.

View attachment 21434
View attachment 21431
View attachment 21433 20170818_132605.jpg
]
20170818_132718.jpg

I like this panel so I am going to buy another for the higher wattage units I have here.
If you notice some voltage differences that is because inside the charger there is a Buck/boost voltage regulator. I connected the panel upstream from the battery charge for my convenience. Wattage, current, and voltage reading are spot on. Nice piece of gear for just a very small outlay of cash. Get them quick before the price goes up!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-20A-7-10...144643?hash=item3f519c6903:g:VR0AAOSwyQtVxihe

That charger is a real tail kicker too! Brought some nicads back fro the dead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-T61...055797&hash=item1a31d26ba7:g:AfAAAOSw53NY-6pZ

Last edited:
It just 'dawned' on me whats happening here. I have to say these little thingys are nice, but they are basically doing the same thing as the meters on some power supplies do, tell you the voltage and the draw from the power supply. Having had a lot more experience with those old 'mechanical' meters so being a little prejudiced, why not just do it that way? The meters draw any required power (very, very little) from the circuit they're measuring.

Because it's DIGITAL!! Pretty lights and numbers that change. Doesn't tell how much RF output, but lets you know how much DC input the system is demanding.

I have to say these little thingys are nice, but they are basically doing the same thing as the meters on some power supplies do, tell you the voltage and the draw from the power supply.
Yep that's kinda the deal, you can mount these in you car and these don't cost anywhere close to the old analog meters and not needing precision resistor matching networks. You would be very hard pressed to mount that many meters in a car.. Plus they are readable in the dark. You can patch these in with out a bunch of trouble and they are more precise. Still a nice bargain for $11.99.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.