• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First time base installation

T

tuckert

Hi all....I'm starting the planning for putting up my first base. I think I'm going to use an Imax 2000 antenna on a telescoping mast, but I haven't decided on the radio and amp yet. What I'm looking for is some general installation pointers from everyone. I want to avoid the bonehead mistakes, if at all possible. Also, what grounding methods should I use?

I'm also interested in two other things: 1. Hearing whether or not people think purchasing the ground plane kit for the Imax 2000 is worthwhile. 2. For anyone that's put up a telescoping mast, where did you find it and what did it cost?

Thx!

Tuck

</p>

Hi all....I'm starting the planning for putting up my first base. I think I'm going to use an Imax 2000 antenna on a telescoping mast, but I haven't decided on the radio and amp yet. What I'm looking for is some general installation pointers from everyone. I want to avoid the bonehead mistakes, if at all possible. Also, what grounding methods should I use?

I'm also interested in two other things: 1. Hearing whether or not people think purchasing the ground plane kit for the Imax 2000 is worthwhile. 2. For anyone that's put up a telescoping mast, where did you find it and what did it cost?

Thx!

Tuck

</p>

Tuck, I have not ran an Imax,Have heard good things about them though, but for the money you can't go wrong with the Antron 99,(I don't have the GPK on mine and have never used one, My antron is VERY high so my receive is quite well). Grounding.. I have heard millions of things to help someone out, from pouring H2O on the ground rods once a day all the way to no grounding at all. I don't have my Antron grounded, some say you don't 'really' have to ground an antron, I'am sure it might help, but i won't be climbing that tree again for a while!!! I cut the top out of a big pine tree, which is beside the house, and used a 10' mast pole, drilled 3 holes in it then put lag bolts into the tree. Been there 2 years with no problems at all!! As far as radios, The sky is the limit (and your $$) I am happy with my Washington. I would recommend a GOOD mod. To give you more Modulation and swing(& channels if you want them) no matter what rig you choose. A good desk mike will make MORE than all the difference in the world. Personally I am super happy with Astatic (silver eagle, D104) just to name a few.Like anything, personal preference will come into play!! Read the forums and take your time installing/setting up your base and i am sure you will be very happy!!

Take care,

The kind country boy 439 Alabama</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/u439downsouth.showPublicProfile?language=EN>439DownSouth</A> at: 4/3/02 3:21:36 pm

Tuck, I have not ran an Imax,Have heard good things about them though, but for the money you can't go wrong with the Antron 99,(I don't have the GPK on mine and have never used one, My antron is VERY high so my receive is quite well). Grounding.. I have heard millions of things to help someone out, from pouring H2O on the ground rods once a day all the way to no grounding at all. I don't have my Antron grounded, some say you don't 'really' have to ground an antron, I'am sure it might help, but i won't be climbing that tree again for a while!!! I cut the top out of a big pine tree, which is beside the house, and used a 10' mast pole, drilled 3 holes in it then put lag bolts into the tree. Been there 2 years with no problems at all!! As far as radios, The sky is the limit (and your $$) I am happy with my Washington. I would recommend a GOOD mod. To give you more Modulation and swing(& channels if you want them) no matter what rig you choose. A good desk mike will make MORE than all the difference in the world. Personally I am super happy with Astatic (silver eagle, D104) just to name a few.Like anything, personal preference will come into play!! Read the forums and take your time installing/setting up your base and i am sure you will be very happy!!

Take care,

The kind country boy 439 Alabama</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/u439downsouth.showPublicProfile?language=EN>439DownSouth</A> at: 4/3/02 3:21:36 pm

I am an amateur, but I was told by several people on this forum, that the antenna was the most important part of my station. I mounted my Imax on a 40' pushup pole. Have been very happy with it.

Then Charger(Master Goob) put his Imax on a 6' pole, and talks all over the world! Go figure.

skeetermansig.gif
</p>

I am an amateur, but I was told by several people on this forum, that the antenna was the most important part of my station. I mounted my Imax on a 40' pushup pole. Have been very happy with it.

Then Charger(Master Goob) put his Imax on a 6' pole, and talks all over the world! Go figure.

skeetermansig.gif
</p>

Ground

Its a good idea to use 2 grounds. 1 at the bottom of the mast or tree for the antenna, & a seperate ground system for the radio equipment. Dont try to use your home's electrical ground system either. Put the radio ground as close to your setup as possible.

__Like 439 stated, Pine tree's make excellent towers for stick antennas. The Lagg bolt method works real good. Its easier to lagg bolt a 3' or so pilot pipe to the tree & just set the 10' or so mast in it --- this makes it much easier to put up & take down.

PS --- Test your antenna & coax throughly before putting it up in the air.

NOTE: Dont try to do it all in 1 day. Take your time & have fun.

</p>

Ground

Its a good idea to use 2 grounds. 1 at the bottom of the mast or tree for the antenna, & a seperate ground system for the radio equipment. Dont try to use your home's electrical ground system either. Put the radio ground as close to your setup as possible.

__Like 439 stated, Pine tree's make excellent towers for stick antennas. The Lagg bolt method works real good. Its easier to lagg bolt a 3' or so pilot pipe to the tree & just set the 10' or so mast in it --- this makes it much easier to put up & take down.

PS --- Test your antenna & coax throughly before putting it up in the air.

NOTE: Dont try to do it all in 1 day. Take your time & have fun.

</p>

So what kind of ground system should I use in the house if I'm not to rely on the house electrical system?

</p>

So what kind of ground system should I use in the house if I'm not to rely on the house electrical system?

</p>

One other thing...I'm not really looking for specific info on which radio, amp, etc.....more on what the right way to do all the setup is. All I've ever installed are mobiles....

</p>

One other thing...I'm not really looking for specific info on which radio, amp, etc.....more on what the right way to do all the setup is. All I've ever installed are mobiles....

</p>

tuck, i have 3 - 8ft. thick wall,copper pipes driven into the ground just outside my basement window where my radios are set up. after building the house i had no money left to finish out the basement so every thing is running on HEAVY ext.cords. i my case home grounding system did not work well as i would get the h#ll shocked out of me if touching too many things at once.after driving the pipes in the ground i used heavy grounding wire wrapped around the pipes and soldered with stay-silv sticks, to the chasis of my radios and amp. this took care of any feedback into my phone,tv, and that D104 mic i use.one rod may work - i didn't try. i read about this in a electronics tech book( old) called" the good earth ground". good luck with your new set up!

Bob - Whiskey527

</p>

tuck, i have 3 - 8ft. thick wall,copper pipes driven into the ground just outside my basement window where my radios are set up. after building the house i had no money left to finish out the basement so every thing is running on HEAVY ext.cords. i my case home grounding system did not work well as i would get the h#ll shocked out of me if touching too many things at once.after driving the pipes in the ground i used heavy grounding wire wrapped around the pipes and soldered with stay-silv sticks, to the chasis of my radios and amp. this took care of any feedback into my phone,tv, and that D104 mic i use.one rod may work - i didn't try. i read about this in a electronics tech book( old) called" the good earth ground". good luck with your new set up!

Bob - Whiskey527

</p>

Tuckert,

After you get all the recommendations here and other

places, you might want to run down to your local library

and take a look at the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Take pad and pencil to make notes. (Depending on where

you live, you may be required to connect to your house

electrical ground.)

Most grounds are for electrical safety, and for lightning

protection. Very few antennas 'need' a ground. ( Antenna

makers always recommend grounding, but it's for lightning

protection.)

For RF purposes, radial ground systems are always 'better'

than ground rods. Depth doesn't 'do' that much good for

RF grounding, but the 'area' of the buried radials cover does.

If the ground radials are deep enough to ~not~ be caught

by the lawn mower, they're deep enough.

Ground straps, busses, etc, ought to be large enough to

carry any currents liable to be on them. That means that

bigger is better. If you get a 'buzz' from touching a piece

of equipment, it means the ground system is NOT, NOT

doing it's job. Find out why and correct it! Another little

bit of wisdom is not to use un-tinned braid as a ground

strap, especially if it's exposed to the weather. Just a plain

braid strap will deteriorate when exposed to all the salts,

acid, etc, in the air. A flat copper/aluminum/metal 'strap',

like roof flashing, works much better and won't deteriorate,

or at least near as fast.

Grounding seems like it should be simple, but it isn't. There

are a lot of things to take into consideration, if you want to

do it 'right'. It's your 'neck' you're protecting, so ground

accordingly...

- 'Doc

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.