• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flea market finds

sportygreg said:
The SBE just sold to a collector on Ebay for $39.00 plus $10.00 shipping-so much for $15.00 being too much!
VAlue is determined by the purchaser , if you are happy with the buy -----don't worry yourself !

Chainsawgang said:
sportygreg said:
The SBE just sold to a collector on Ebay for $39.00 plus $10.00 shipping-so much for $15.00 being too much!
VAlue is determined by the purchaser , if you are happy with the buy -----don't worry yourself !

That particular radio was just fair radio back then. SBE did however make some excellent SSB mobiles.

picked up a 29ltd with wx and a GE 40 ch pll model 3-5814A today. Both power up only gave $5 bucks for the 2.

Switch Kit,...Great reply, It brought back a lot of memories!! Donna Summer, Disco, BJ & the Bear, and of course the CB craze of the 70's. It all went hand in hand. I'll never forget it. Ah, to be able to relive those times...what I wouldn't give....... :)

old radios to me is like having that classic car.yea those old cars are big and heavy but were much better built and
would defanitely outlast the cars of today.see what i mean
just like radios.so the question is do ya get an 30 year radio
sure if nothing else for show and memories of years gone by
my 2 cents

Last year I picked up a thirty year old radio at a ham fleamarket.I had been wanting one for......,well thirty years.I had always wanted a Kenwood TS-820S ever since I first saw one while I was still in my teens. It is built like a tank and almost as heavy as one too.As far as quality workmanship goes it is far superior to anything made today. As far as performance goes it has a better receiver than most of todays rigs and their fancy audio DSP crap. (You filter at the IF level not the audio level). ;) The TX audio is better too. Nothing wrong with an older radio if it has been well maintained.

old radio

Right on orn, I still have my yaesu ft 101e that I bought new in 1979 and a kenwood 520 that I bought in 1985.I still use both of them an when you talk to a fellow that has been around awhile you hear, Man listen to that tube audio.They also told me back then to not run the yaesu on am,well if you run them correctly keeping the bias where it belongs it runs fine. I keep mine about a 5 watt dead key and it audio's to about 50 and you know what, It still has the green stripe tubes that came in it back in 79.When I get it down on am most guys want to know what kind of amp I am running,they just don't believe that a 30 yr old radio can sound like that!! :D

Well smokercraft you must be doing something right for those 6JS6C finals to last that long. They are not as rugged as the 6146B's. I suspect that is why you were cautioned about using it on AM. When it comes to older gear and AM all it takes is a little common sense and a quest for quality not power. Power can always be made up with an amp.That is the one thing I miss with my TS-820S,no AM mode. I use it strictly 100% for ham anyway but I do like to get on 80m AM now and then. For that I use the old Heathkit DX-60B transmitter which is all tubes and sounds great.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I will respond to orn. You are correct I take it easy with the old 101 when I am on am.It spends most of the time on ssb.I have a new set of 6js6c that I bought back in 1982 for it.They are still in their box.I like the old 520 a little better, It just seems to have a hotter recieve and man does that processer work.If you need to bust into a pileup just flip the switch.Never own a heathkit-60B but I have heard them, they are sweet.I quess we are kind of telling are age, sometimes I think I just don't want to come out of the 60's and 70's :D

Just a quick note, If your 101 is still running the NEC/Toshiba 6JS6C tubes with the Green stripe on the bottom of the tube, when you do replace them with the new tubes(and if they are not also Toshiba green stripes) it will require a simple mod to use the USA tubes.

From the NW2M website:
There will come a time when the finals in your FT101E will need replacing. The FT-101 transceivers were originally equipped with 6JS6C tubes manufactured by NEC and Toshiba. Other manufacturers tube properties are slightly different from the original 6JS6C tubes. Therefore, a simple modification to the neutralization circuit must be made to the final section of the transceiver. The modification consists of replacing the fixed value 100 pf 1000 VDC mica capacitor with a 10 pf 1000 VDC mica capacitor. This capacitor, C125, is in series with the 10 pf variable neutralizing capacitor off of the plate circuit.
Much more great info can be found there at this address
www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html#tubes

My 101 "B" still has Toshiba 6JS6C`s in it, and I have 1 spare set of green stripes. My 101 "E" has GE tubes in it, with the added Cap.

Jeff

QRN said:
Last year I picked up a thirty year old radio at a ham fleamarket.I had been wanting one for......,well thirty years.I had always wanted a Kenwood TS-820S ever since I first saw one while I was still in my teens. It is built like a tank and almost as heavy as one too.As far as quality workmanship goes it is far superior to anything made today. As far as performance goes it has a better receiver than most of todays rigs and their fancy audio DSP crap. (You filter at the IF level not the audio level). ;) The TX audio is better too. Nothing wrong with an older radio if it has been well maintained.
wow qrn what a find.i had the pleasure of using a 820s and the
rafdio was flawless worked great

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.