• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM and CW ????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i have a 10 meter radio . i have just used the AM band so far .what is FM and CW and how are they used?do you just surf till you find someone and then try to reach them ? whats the difference between them and AM ?

fm is the primary close range mode for 10m amature use. cw is morse code. am is not used on 10m (bandwith restrictions)

you are using it on 11m cb i presume, am and ssb are what you will be using. fm is good if others have exports like you. (its illegal but so is your radio)

Carl said:
fm is the primary close range mode for 10m amature use. cw is morse code. am is not used on 10m (bandwith restrictions)

Not quite true. AM can be used anywhere SSB can.The restriction is PHONE not bandwidth. AM is narrower than FM. There is a lot of AM on 10m between 29.0 and 29.2 when the band is open.

US Band Plan

In Europe we also have some repeaters which opens at 10meter in FM mode.
Some thimes it is better range of FM than AM, it depends on the conditions. If you run 50w FM on a flat countryside you cant say its short range communnication. On 1w FM mode with a good antennasystem and good positions my record is 49km.

The closest of my locals position is 26.3 km from me. I run daily 4w FM and the reports are R5 S6.

We use only FM mostly because of bigger interference problems with the AM mode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.