• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fm Broadcast Transmitter/Amp/Exciter Question

If you do, the FCC will hunt you down faster than you or anyone else can imagine. This subject has popped up here from time to time, and this same answer is still just as valid. If you use this transmitter and broadcast on a commercial frequency that the FCC guarantees those who use it legally and pay a heavy licensing fee each year, then they will throw the book at you. Huge fine and probable jail time. Even 100 watts of your broadcast will interfere and cause legitimate station owners loss of revenue. They may sue as well. Don't treat any of this lightly; this isn't a CB frequency and it is protected!

Young kid in Athens, Ohio had a 20 watt FM pirate station about 10 years ago. It was the talk of the town, especially amongst OU students. It was covered in all 3 local papers.

The FCC responded to reporters comments in the local paper that did a story on the mysterious station. They mentioned the punishment, didn't hear the station after that story ran.

I knew the kids uncle.

If you do, the FCC will hunt you down faster than you or anyone else can imagine. This subject has popped up here from time to time, and this same answer is still just as valid. If you use this transmitter and broadcast on a commercial frequency that the FCC guarantees those who use it legally and pay a heavy licensing fee each year, then they will throw the book at you. Huge fine and probable jail time. Even 100 watts of your broadcast will interfere and cause legitimate station owners loss of revenue. They may sue as well. Don't treat any of this lightly; this isn't a CB frequency and it is protected!

You read the part where I said "Pirate" didn't you?
I'm well aware of Federal law and really wasn't looking for a lesson in FCC regulations. That's why this thing peaked my curiosity.

you might need an rds encoder to make a name appear on car stereos. If you don't then most modern radios won't pause on the signal when they scan. I met a pirate station that used take requests in over the cb. They got about 6 months jail time AFAIK.

You read the part where I said "Pirate" didn't you?
I'm well aware of Federal law and really wasn't looking for a lesson in FCC regulations. That's why this thing peaked my curiosity.

OK - understood.

If/when Captain Kilowatt reads this thread, I'm sure he will give it some comment. If i'm not mistaken, he is still the station engineer at a commercial FM broadcast station.

But for what eBay is selling (not the first time I've seen an ad like this on eBay - BTW), I'm gonna guess that although it has a 600 watt output - that using it at 100% duty cycle ('constant output') that 60 watts output would be needed. Not really familiar with those output devices - that is why I said that.

Looks like a real hack job - put together by cannibalizing parts from different things. I'll give the builder some credit - tho - he made it all work AFAIK.

Makes me wonder why the FCC doesn't just nip this in the bud by confiscating it. Or perhaps it is part of a FCC sting operation. But then - that would imply entrapment.

I especially like this picture.
"METER"
lol - like we didn't know . . .

bw-broadcast-600w-exciter-custom-9.jpg

Last edited:
If it is a hypothetical question, the transmitter should work with an antenna, mic and mixer. Get a CD player or computer to spin a few songs.

However if you plan to ever do something legitimate it's the wrong way to start. Get approved type equipment and go through the proper channels and get a low power license. There is plenty of used equipment available. I have three 300 watt transmitters and exciters in my garage. :)

I've put together a 1kW television transmitter out of spare parts. Pieces were scavenged from the trash bin, found parts outside in the rain and full of mice, and so on. At least nine transmitters contributed. It's presently installed as backup equipment for use while the main transmitter or its cooling system are shut down due to failure or maintenance. It wouldn't be officially accepted by FCC or Industry Canada, but for a short term transmitter or to get out of a bind they seem to not want to know.

Last edited:
OK - understood.

If/when Captain Kilowatt reads this thread, I'm sure he will give it some comment. If i'm not mistaken, he is still the station engineer at a commercial FM broadcast station.

bw-broadcast-600w-exciter-custom-9.jpg

I left the business in the fall of 2005. I had enough of the company and they had enough of me having enough lf them. Long story. Anyway Warren, VO1KS, is currently an FM/Television engineer still in the business. He still gets to ply with the good stuff and get paid to do it. ;)

So who buys these things? The unit is getting a lot of attention for something that would/could land you in jail. I don't know how far this thing would transmit, but I'm guessing more than far enough to get nailed.
Maybe it will end up in some Commie country(?). I have a large piece of property in southern AZ. against the Chiricahua mountains. Maybe I could broadcast propaganda all over Mexico with it.

A lot of countries do not have as much in the way of regulations as Canada/USA and certainly have far less enforcement. Another possibility is pirate/propaganda broadcasts by doomsdayers/survivalists or those disgruntled with the current administration.As for your idea about a "commie country", of the couple left in the world, Cuba and China, those are probably the last places that you would see such operations.

Buy a old cargo ship and start you a pirate radio station outside U.S waters off the east coast.(y)

I remember listening to Radio Caroline, THE original off-shore pirate broadcaster. IIRC it was off The Netherlands at the time and was on board the Ross Revenge a converted trawler. Those were the hey days of SWLing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.