• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM CB

All/most 'Q' signals have two meanings, one a statement, the other a question. With voice modes, you just make a question out of it by tone of voice. On other modes, a question mark is added.
These things were intended to make things quicker, faster. Didn't take very long to ask a question or give a reply. They are also handy for people who don't have a common language! They have the same meanings in different languages so that's handy.
One thing about 'Q' codes or any other ones is that if both/all parties aren't familiar with them they don't make anything easier/simpler. So, if possible, just plain language can be faster, which is the whole point.
- 'Doc

"Q Signals" are used by non-military telegraphy stations. Military communications uses both "Q" and "Z" Signals. A complete listing of these are available in Allied Communications Publication #131 (ACP 131):
http://jcs.dtic.mil/j6/cceb/acps/acp131/ACP131F.pdf

The military did not and does not use a question mark in radiotelegraphy. If one of these signals is used for asking a question, such as asking if another station has any traffic for him, he'd use the procedure signal INT, sent as one character. So the operator aboard USS Kitty Hawk (NZFF) asks the operator at Naval Radio Station Jim Creek (NLK):

NLK DE NZFF INT QRU K

If Jim Creek has no traffic for Kitty Hawk, the response would be:

NZFF DE NLK QRU AR

"Q Signals" are used by non-military telegraphy stations. Military communications uses both "Q" and "Z" Signals. A complete listing of these are available in Allied Communications Publication #131 (ACP 131):
http://jcs.dtic.mil/j6/cceb/acps/acp131/ACP131F.pdf

The military did not and does not use a question mark in radiotelegraphy. If one of these signals is used for asking a question, such as asking if another station has any traffic for him, he'd use the procedure signal INT, sent as one character. So the operator aboard USS Kitty Hawk (NZFF) asks the operator at Naval Radio Station Jim Creek (NLK):

NLK DE NZFF INT QRU K

If Jim Creek has no traffic for Kitty Hawk, the response would be:

NZFF DE NLK QRU AR

I am sorry, I am not Military. 5 of my Uncles served in W.W.2, Two of them went on to serve in Korea, And My older Brother did 2 tours in Vietnam Crew Chief Gunner 174thAHC on a B-Model Huey. I use Q-codes when i am on SSB. And yes i am still learning and i always will. Sorry for my mistake on the Q-codes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.