• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM on Galaxy DX-949 and 959

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Extra channels, unlocked clarifier/slider and finals can be tuned much better than the FCC allows, its gotta be the closest thing to an export radio the FCC has approved. All it needs is FM, and I kinda doubt its got the discriminator and components for FM, although i would not be surprised if its got an empty space on the PCB for those components.
Has anybody ever heard of FM being added to such a radio?

Don't know why you would bother to do it. In the US; the FM mode is used less than 1% of the time. Unless they are making contacts into Europe - where FM is used in place of AM to a great degree.

Between all of your posts this morning (12m and FM questions); I would have to guess that you need an RCI-2950DX or a RCI-2970DX so that you don't need to convert a radio and save the time and expense.
Just sayin . . .

For just about the same money you can get an all mode medium power export, certainly a good used one.....so there isn't any point. You want the capabilities of an export? Get an export.

Job done!

There were and are kits, I just cant find any here in the USA. Such was more popular back in the day.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-...ncy-modulation-conversion-kit.html#post293313

In modern times FM on 11m is considered an act of heresy. I get jumped by outlaw CB'er and hammies who used to be outlaw CB'er till they prayed for salvation from riley hollingsworth jesus.

I give up, the whole point of the question was if maybe the 949 had any similarities to the 10m export, like the same board and FM might be a simple matter of adding a few components that were omitted.

Not meant to be construed as jumping on you, I actually encourage anyone that enjoys playing around with radio to learn something to do so......
Yes you will find a few people on internet forums that just want to be there to spout rules and reg`s, but in general, most people here have a open mind about playing radio....sorry if you took it that way.
The only thing I can suggest is you get a hold of some pictures of each board, and try to find the schematics of both radios and compare them to see if indeed you can "fill the holes" to add FM.

Jeff

The only thing I can suggest is you get a hold of some pictures of each board, and try to find the schematics of both radios and compare them to see if indeed you can "fill the holes" to add FM.

Jeff

The Galaxy 2517 is very close to the 949/959 and it has FM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated