• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fm?

bigun297

Feb 14, 2007
pratt.ks
Hey guys quick question!.Should i see any modulation(swing on the rf power meter)in fm mode?Radio is my connex 4400hp.If so,i must have a problem and what would that be?. Thnx bigun297. :?:

Since your in learning mode allow me to aid in your quest for knowledge. FM or FREQUENCY MODULATION uses slight shifts in frequency to transmit the intelligence (AUDIO) across the airwaves. AM or AMPLITUDE MODULATION uses shift in power from a set carrier to transmit the inteligence. Hope this crash course helps explain.

dxhound said:
Since your in learning mode allow me to aid in your quest for knowledge. FM or FREQUENCY MODULATION uses slight shifts in frequency to transmit the intelligence (AUDIO) across the airwaves. AM or AMPLITUDE MODULATION uses shift in power from a set carrier to transmit the inteligence. Hope this crash course helps explain.

ummm AM does not use shifts in power. it uses a carrier and 2 sidebands. the sidebands are were the modulations takes place.
like the oreo cookie example that most use to explain it.
the middle white stuff is your carrier, and the two outer cokies are the sidebands. then sidband is just that one or the other sidebands minus the carrier.
FM big carrier and doesnt use sidebands, like you said above it modulates by using a larger bandwidth.

im sure someone else can give a more accurate and precise description but that should help them understand a little more aswell.

AM actually does change in amplitude or power hence the term Amplitude Modulation. The carrier varys between zero and twice the normal carrier level with 100% modulation.This is where the 4:1 carrier-peak ratio comes in. With the carrier peaking at twice the normal unmodulated level it causes twice the current flow in the antenna.Since the carrier voltage is times two and the current is times two and power equals voltage times current we have 2X2=4 or a 4:1 ratio. The sidebands are produced by adding or subtracting the carrier frequency and the frequency of the audio source.

FM also has side bands but they are more complex than AM sidebands. FM,or Frequency Modulations varies the frequency of the carrier while the amplitude of the carrier stays constant.

Sorry, Itried to "dumb it down" so that it wasnt too complex for him to understand. You are correct about the sidebands and the carrier

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.