• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

For Parts Only?

riverrat373

Aug 2, 2012
It seems to be a growing trend in the CB listings on Ebay to say that the item "works great" but that the seller is describing it as "For parts only, no returns or refunds allowed". One of the common themes is that due to "parts swappers" they must protect themselves. I'm sure that there have been occasions when a buyer has done such a dishonest thing, but I have a hard time believing that it is that serious of a problem. I personally will not buy an item from a seller who lists their item this way. Any thoughts on this? (n)

.... One of the common themes is that due to "parts swappers" they must protect themselves. I'm sure that there have been occasions when a buyer has done such a dishonest thing, but I have a hard time believing that it is that serious of a problem. ....

I personally know quite a few people who got burned by parts swappers, it's a very real problem. Keep in mind it only takes one dishonest person to screw multiple sellers.

StrangeBrew, I understand what you are saying, but I wonder what Ebay or Paypal would say if you filed a complaint saying that radio arrived DOD? After all, the seller claims that it "works great" in the listing. If they refund your purchase price, they are going to go after the seller for the money or freeze his account anyway.

been there done that i dont deal ebay any more because of them saying it doesnt work and the most famous not what ad represented,,, i have had to just let go of money plus the radios becuase they refused to pay shipping back and the loss on the 2 radios was too much already,,,, i never buy or sell on ebay and their partner in crime paypal,,,

The main problem is a seller on E-Bay has very few rights or protection. I have never heard of someone getting burned when they sell an item "for parts or repair". I have been burned 2x and two local friends have had problems as well when we sold something that worked just fine.

If a seller has good feedback and shows numerous clear clean pictures of their item I would put more trust in that. Now if someone lists a radio or amp as untested but they still want top dollar that to me is a red flag.

Just bought 100 of those seals for ~$5/free shipping. Sell a radio? Put two stickers on - one on each cover side - and then sign each one. Advertise/state that fact when selling the radio with the stipulation that removal of the seal voids any claim. So long as that is OK with the eBay policies (it should; this is not their first rodeo), this should offer the seller a measure of protection and a vote of trust/confidence for the buyer. The more sellers that use this practice will probably sell more radios than those that don't. Get a leg up on the competition - JMHO.

Last edited:
the only problem I had 2 times so far is the item says as is and looking at the pics it will look good and the seller will just throw it in a box and not wrap it or even have packing around a radio and it gets here all beat up and scratched and even they left the mic plugged into the radio and it would cut the mic cord at the plug. the radio would be all scratched and need a new bezel. I got 2 radios sent that way and when I contacted the seller both said what difference does it make. it is sold as is for parts or repair.. ebay saw the pictures and did a partial refund on one and a full refund on the 2nd radio;.
one was a cobra 29 ltd chrome and it was so scratched up I would had to buy covers and 2 controls on the front of the radio that were damaged and the bezel and a face plate.
this type seller I do not ever want to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaos513
Devil's advocate here: What if the buyer is a real scum bag, and simply says there were no seals on the radio? Does the buyer need to make an unboxing video to prove it? Where does it end?

Reactions: Robb
Devil's advocate here: What if the buyer is a real scum bag, and simply says there were no seals on the radio? Does the buyer need to make an unboxing video to prove it? Where does it end?
Take a digital picture of the radio with the seals on it; no cost.

Another thing; eBay keep records of complaints from both sellers and buyers. It is also in their best interest of eBay to weed out those who are abusing membership privileges.

Reactions: Johnno
Take a digital picture of the radio with the seals on it; no cost. Another thing; eBay keep records of complaints from both sellers and buyers. It is also in their best interest of eBay to weed out those who are abusing membership privileges.
I have used these seals as well. I usually don't sell big ticket items but use when needed. I don't put much confidence in the eBay/PayPal resolution teams if a dispute did arise and the seals were tampered with. Although, its better than none at all.

I list "for parts or not working" on fully functional gear. A recent sale and claim (by a parts swapper?) failed when a 100% working unit was sent and claimed DOA by the buyer.

I have used these seals as well. I usually don't sell big ticket items but use when needed. I don't put much confidence in the eBay/PayPal resolution teams if a dispute did arise and the seals were tampered with. Although, its better than none at all.

I list "for parts or not working" on fully functional gear. A recent sale and claim (by a parts swapper?) failed when a 100% working unit was sent and claimed DOA by the buyer.
What was the outcome of that situation? Was it tampered with? Were parts swapped out? Was any damage done to it? etc...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.