• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Francis 8' Wheeler Dealer Antenna

The Steel whip antenna is the best performer because it has the largest DIAMETER and the greatest radiating area. Since RF radiates from the skin of the wire element, the larger the diameter, the more radiating area for a given length. A fiberglass whip with a single wire inside will radiate less RF because the diameter of the wire is smaller. The Amazer and Wheeler Dealer perform ALMOST as well as the steel whip because their radiating area is 3 times that of a glass antenna with one wire. Another benefit of a fiberglass whip is that with the wires encapsulated in the resin, they won't corrode and have more stable performance. Also, they don't bend as easily as a steel whip, and have better performance at speed on the road. But that being said, the steel whip is hands down the best performing mobile antenna.

I’ve always felt a 1/4 wave was best, but something about these multiple elements makes me wonder.

Based on the Patent, do you know which version you might have?

Mine were orange and a gray. What I'm hearing lately is they are different versions in different colors. Some OP's have suggested the Amazer was Gray and the Wheeler Dealer is Orange or light Red.

My Orange antenna had Wheeler Dealer written on or near the base. I never used my gray antenna, so I'm not sure if it had Amazer on the base. When I bought mine they were the last two on the rack, and the guy offer me a deal for both. I figured they were different colors, but the same antenna. I knew nothing about any difference inside, until much later...when the Patent was posted here on the forum.

Below is an old S9 Magazine ad for the Francis that shows the details for an Orange and a Gray. Sorry for the bad copy.
http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/francis/cb_22/ad/graphics/s9_mag_mar_1979_pg54.gif

Both the Orange and Gray are described with similar construction details, but some folks have described these two as being different with the Amazer being the best.

What if they were all the same inside? Sure would seem to cut down on handling costs if they were all the same. The Patent could have been written just to cover several construction ideas, that all worked to do the same thing and better cover all of the legal aspects. Several Patents are noted at the bottom of this ad.

Jeff, my latest model really has a compressed and chopped up looking SWR bandwidth curve. The antenna shows resonance at the top of the old CB band spread. Maybe these were the principal design ideas to show more bandwidth with similar gain to a 102" whip, plus a more rigid radiator to handle the wind better while driving.

Reactions: 2NC995
It is my understanding that the later productions were all triple quarter wave to simplify construction on the production line.
Mine were also the last 96 inch antennas.
In fact I had called many Francis dealers in the US wanting to get these antennas and everyone I called had no stock.
I finally found these 2 from a dealer in North Carolina ( actually it was a music store that sold a few cb's and accesories) and had them shipped here to California.
The guy I talked to there said it was the last 2 that he had and could not get them any more.
As far as I know they stopped producing the 96" antenna after that.
They were bought out by some other company, I think it was Truck Spec or Barjon ( spelling ) maybe, but not sure, and was told that they did not purchase the original manufacturing equipment from Francis that was used in the design.
How they were built after that is a guess on my part.
Everything I find on the web now always refers to the original Francis antennas, not the others that built them later.
This is the history of the antennas as I know them.
I still think they are about as good as you can get unless you run a full size Stainless Whip.

One Side Bar.

There was one other antenna, the Shakesphere 96" fiberglass .
I also had 2 of these in the past.
That antenna had a single Stainless steel multi strand cable that ran inside the fiberglass.
That was the only antenna I had ever owned that used a cable encapsulated inside the fiberglass.
I know that because I trimmed one down for Ten meters and it was a bitch to cut the cable off.
Shakespeare also discontinued that antenna many years ago.
I know of no other company that builds these type of antennas in 96" lengths.
Everything now is wrapped on the outside of the fiberglass.
Everheart Antennas in Texas used to make a 1.5 wave antenna, but it was also wrapped and I don't know if they are even in bussiness any more.
Hope this helps.

Jeff

Reactions: Marconi
Shakespeare still makes a 96” glass whip, sold as a LORAN antenna, that has a 3/8 x 24 base.

That Antenna is not for CB use, as far as I know they do not make the 27 MHz version anymore.
They did make a 1/2 wave CB Marine antenna, and I think that one is still available.
You can check the Shakesphere wen site to confirm if I am correct, but that is the last I remember.

Jeff

That Antenna is not for CB use, as far as I know they do not make the 27 MHz version anymore.
They did make a 1/2 wave CB Marine antenna, and I think that one is still available.
You can check the Shakesphere wen site to confirm if I am correct, but that is the last I remember.

Jeff

Really? That’s how I found out about it...it’s sold at CB retailers and has good reviews.

I realize it may not be marketed for CB use, but otherwise don’t see why it may matter.

They do have another 96” fiberglass CB antenna listed in their catalog, but it uses some boating specific mount.

Last edited:
The Shakespeare 5223-XT is not a Loran C antenna, and is 96 inches, is still sold for CB use, and is over $100 on Amazon... I would get one of their mounts as well...

They also still sell their big stick, 176-1, which is 18 feet long, and a three foot antenna, 4051 both of which are advertised as both CB and Loran C.

The DB

Ok
I stand corrected.
I thought they stopped making the 27 MHz version some time ago.
It is good to know that they still make it because it is a good antenna.
I gave my last one to my son in law and have no idea were it went after that.
Ouch on $100 bucks.
I have a friend that got a mount, a spring and a 102 whip not long ago for $65 bucks shipped.
But Shakesphere has always been proud of there antennas.
Well know in the marine industry for many years.

Jeff

Here is a Patent link to what looks like the short Francis antennas noted in the ad I posted above. https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/93/17/21/e730426158e6f9/US3596273.pdf

Here it looks as though they wind two wires of different diameters into a helix. For me, this look to suggest that the two different wires diameters provide the Francis bandwidth ideas, and the helix coil works to ad inductance to the shorter radiator making it respond as a 1/4 wavelength.

Last edited:
Jeff did you see the model of the 96" inch Francis I posted in the link below? It was after receiving your dimensions and after making some changes to the model, it started showing this irregular (compressed) BW curve pattern.

If so and you have an analyzer, maybe you or someone else could scan your Bandwidth Curve and tell us if your antenna shows anything similar...SWR dips and peaks.

Model as the bottom of Post #52
Francis 8' Wheeler Dealer Antenna

Last edited:
Reactions: 2NC995
The 5223-XT is not the antenna I’m referring to. That antenna is a loaded half wave, with a 1” mount. That’s why it’s so heavy.

The one I am referring to is the the 4208, formerly the 10-3. 96”, much thinner, and uses a regular 3/8 X 24 mounting thread. It sells for $25-40.

I am misinterpreting something, wouldn’t be the first time, but at least some folks seem to use it as an 11 Meter antenna with success.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.