• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Freq. Counter Installation

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
Recently I obtained an old Wawasee meter and digital clock. About half of the numbers in the clock portion are burnt out so I was wondering how difficult it would be to retrofit a small frequency counter such as a Connex FC390 into the space currently occupied by the clock. It would require enlarging the opening in the faceplate of the meter somewhat but nothing severe. I want to do this for two reasons: First, it will eliminate the Siltronix FC-1 display which only has five digits and second it will display the frequency on both transmit and receive, making tuning significantly easier and more accurate.

My question: How to wire it into my old Cobra 135? The FC390 was made for export radios that have a six-pin jack for the counter. My old 135 has no such thing. I do the bulk of my tuning through a VFO. Could I just use a 'T' connector out of the VFO and run a line to the counter? The signal coming out of the VFO isn't very strong and a difference in receive sensitivity when I switch from the crystal bank to the VFO is noticeable. I'm wondering if siphoning off a bit of the signal to the frequency counter will result in decreased sensitivity.

Or should I just try to connect it to the board in the 135? And if so, where?

The LED numbers can be desoldered and replaced The LEDs and instructions are online, if you search them. I have to dash out to work, but just google the instructions and LEDs. The instructions may even be in this forum.

The LED numbers can be desoldered and replaced The LEDs and instructions are online, if you search them. I have to dash out to work, but just google the instructions and LEDs. The instructions may even be in this forum.

Yes I am aware that the LED is an easy fix. This meter does NOT have the built in frequency counter, only the clock. Since the clock in the 135 works perfectly I really don't need a second one which is why I wanted to eliminate it and retrofit a small freq. counter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.