• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frequency alignment DX979

Greatvalue1

Aug 20, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
When I put a 1K tone into the mike on sideband, my frequency counter reads 1K Hertz lower on LSB and 1K Hertz higher on USB.

i.e. 27.3840 LSB, 27.3850 AM (no tone), 27.3860 USB.

Is this normal?

Last edited:

Yes, for 11-meters, there's supposed to be a frequency offset on SSB vs AM. However, it seems a lot of people (and some techs) don't know this (because they've never read the alignment procedures for their radio).

SO, when they look at their frequency counters on SSB, they "think" they're transmitting "off" frequency on SSB, and then turn a couple of pots so that they're transmitting on the same frequency as AM. This is NOT how it's supposed to be.

There's a frequency offset on LSB and USB from AM for a reason, but the golden screwdrivers out there don't seem to get it.

You might as well conform with the misinformed. Since 95% of CB operators out there transmit (on SSB) on the same frequency as AM, you might as well do the same. Otherwise you'll hear a lot of reports of you being "WAY" off-frequency (even though you're technically not).

What can I say? Your radio is technically both wrong and right as the same time.

Reactions: 1 person
300px-Am-sidebands.png

Sideband - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio