• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frequency counter

MNTSIDE

Jan 31, 2021
Hello
Just starting out on repairing radios and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what frequency counter I should be looking at purchasing, getting a little confused with the input ratings,
1 Megaohms bs 50ohms
I’m assuming that a counter with an input of let’s say 30Mhz 1 Mohms would work???
Thanks
Kevin

Reactions: Handy Andy

I’m assuming that a counter with an input of let’s say 30Mhz 1 Mohms would work???

The answer is yes, in short.

The longer wording / explanation is due to the type of measurements you'll be making - they are frequency based using low-power emitting oscillators - you don't want to change the tuning - just "see it" - so the 1MegΩ rating is better for toucing the output lead of a resistor from the output of that oscillator - than using a 50Ω type for low-power measurement references and checking thru proximity using an antenna (non-contact probe sniffer).

The reason I say the above is how you could load the circuit down too much - and not get a correct reading - unless you have a "High impedance" Otherwise known as "Hi-Z" inputs - which correlate to the 1MegΩ or 1,000,000Ω (A lot of zeros) versus Lo-Z or 50Ω (output tap sampler by proximity)

Reactions: tecnicoloco
The answer is yes, in short.

The longer wording / explanation is due to the type of measurements you'll be making - they are frequency based using low-power emitting oscillators - you don't want to change the tuning - just "see it" - so the 1MegΩ rating is better for toucing the output lead of a resistor from the output of that oscillator - than using a 50Ω type for low-power measurement references and checking thru proximity using an antenna (non-contact probe sniffer).

The reason I say the above is how you could load the circuit down too much - and not get a correct reading - unless you have a "High impedance" Otherwise known as "Hi-Z" inputs - which correlate to the 1MegΩ or 1,000,000Ω (A lot of zeros) versus Lo-Z or 50Ω (output tap sampler by proximity)
thanks for the info andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.