• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

?? Frequency coversion -257 HP- need advice

Uncle Charlie

Oct 22, 2013
On my conversion board, the diode from pin 1 down to pin 3 is resting on pin 2, I mean it is touching the #2 pin.

Shouldn't I be concerned about it over heating by trying to jump at the con 2 position, well I am.

I'm no expert at soldering, I'm afraid of cooking the diode.

Question #2 ... Would it be OK to unplug, and remove the speaker while I'm here, or would that be ill advised. I will never use it.

Come on Guys

I was really excited about playing with my NEW RADIO TONIGHT, .... but.... I Need Advice..... , or should I just take a few of my meds ( Bud Light ) and think about the could have been.

Can you post a pic ?

Can You can bend it out of the way...?

Last edited:
No I cant post a picture, and the leads (wires) coming out of the diode are tight, I was going to use desoldering braid to remove the first jumper, but m42
the diode is making contact with the pin.

Should I even consider trying to have a tear drop of solder fall onto the two pins, I'm afraid that it probably would also cover a portion of the diode.

On my conversion board, the diode from pin 1 down to pin 3 is resting on pin 2, I mean it is touching the #2 pin.

Shouldn't I be concerned about it over heating by trying to jump at the con 2 position, well I am.

Question #2 ... Would it be OK to unplug, and remove the speaker while I'm here, or would that be ill advised. I will never use it.

m42 maybe I'm doing a poor job of explaining my problem, please bare with me, the jumper at con 1 is not a problem ( it might even be the answer in just a moment ) , the lead wire out of the diode from con 1 down to con 3 is short, causing the diode to rest on the con 2 pin, where I want to put the new jumper, to use the stealth mode.

Now see if you think this might work. Since I need to remove the jumper at con 1, and the lead out of the diode is connected to that pin, could or should I just remove that lead, bend the diode up out of the way, then a new jumper at con 2, then go back and attach the lead to con 1 pin. Just thinking out loud.

Why not just do the full mod, jump con 3. At least you'll be on the air.

Worry about stealth mode later, maybe until someone can help you.

Well that is an option, but not what I wanted, I can't give up yet ..... I've got to figure out my best answer to achieve my goal .... even if I have to take it on a 100 mile round trip ... to a tech. Thanks m42 for your concern.

Leave the diode be. Just work around it.

m42, You as usual, are Brilliant, and may have lead me in the right direction, " Just work around it." .

So .... I sat here thinking of your suggestion, "work around it", .... then it dawned on me, ... I had no idea what the underside of the board looks like.

Why can't I jump from underneath the board, it looks good to me. What do you think ??????

Last edited:

Sounds like a Crapper or Copper Electronics special. That's what ya get for trying to save a buck. Buy a radio from a shop that does quality tech work and offers honest sales. This way the radio gets converted, tuned, and shipped one time the right way...........BOOM then all is well and your on the air walking the dog. Just keeping it real.....nuff said.

m42, You as usual, are Brilliant, and may have lead me in the right direction, " Just work around it." .

So .... I sat here thinking of your suggestion, "work around it", .... then it dawned on me, ... I had no idea what the underside of the board looks like.

Why can't I jump from underneath the board, it looks good to me. What do you think ??????

I think your gonna screw up a nice radio trying to be a wanna be tech. At least you voided the warranty at this point so good job. Now you can't complain when the radio is jacked up. That's my nickle worth and my opinion.

" I had no idea what the underside of the board looks like." That says it all right there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.