• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Freshened up FT-5100

ButtFuzz

Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor
Aug 11, 2005
Sunny Salem, VA
robco.ath.cx
Bought this rig on the cheap at the hamfeast today. Backlights had all burned out, a relatively common occurance in this rig. Replaced with Blue LED's to give it a more modern appearance.

"Not too shabby"

5100_2.jpg

5100_1.jpg

Kind of hard to believe they stuffed all that stuff in a rig so small... And this thing was made in the early 90's!!!

This little dude does cross-band repeat, too...

Everything else works as advertised. These rigs are famous for the little bulbs going bad... problem is, most folks don't (or didn't) know you could dim the display from the front panel. (It is NOT obvious or intuitive...) If they'd have dimmed the display one "notch", they would never have had a problem.

Another thing they're famous for is getting REALLY hot. It is because they're just barely larger than an htx-252 and do 50 watts on VHF. Little tiny heat sink with an itty bitty muffin fan. Best bet is to run it on low power!!!

And just so we're clear, I DID NOT put a swing kit in there... tee hee hee.

Echo?? robot voice changer?? 5 tone roger beep to follow up after the PL tone opens the repeater?? LMAO! You should look into getting that dual bander super wackpacked I believe thats what they call it I see it brought up here from time to time. LOL!!

All jokes asside it looks nice I wouldnt mind a dual band mobilre I think its the only thing I never owned I have handhelds 3 of which are dual banders and the wifes FT-857D well actually thats an all band rig I am getting another one of those forsure great little radio.

Ill find me a dual band rig to mess with evetually I have different brands in the collection but Im partial to Yaesu well ok its my favorite brand. Looks god and that radio looks to be interesting Ill check the track record on reliability and may jump on one myself.

As far as the bright and dim settings I never run lights on the brightest setting on anything turning the lights down 1 setting doubles the life and there still plenty bright my wifes 857D hell I wouldnt care if the lights were completely turned off she has them set to pink LMAO but thats ok its her vehicle and her radio and I use it when Im in there regaurdless of the display color. I razz her about it but she knows Im just kidding with her and it doesnt effect the way she sounds on any of the bands we use.

Did that radio there you have use a standard 12 volt lightbulb or was it a crazy or odd voltage?

Could I have the specs or part number for the L.E.Ds? I have the same radio and my lamps are out.:headbang

Mine too....I'd probably stick with orange though.

Was it tuff to get to? I've just been too lazy to get into it.

I like the radio much. I think there was a fan mod of some sort.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.