• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Front panel design software

M0KRL

Aug 21, 2012
I have just finished building a few bits of homebrew test and measurement tools, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations of any software/freeware packages that would enable me to design front panels to give my projects a finishing touch.

I have access to a colour laser and colour inkjet printers, and my origional idea was to print out the panels on glossy paper and then use a spray on glue to secure them to the project front panels.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, Karl

I have just finished building a few bits of homebrew test and measurement tools, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations of any software/freeware packages that would enable me to design front panels to give my projects a finishing touch.

I have access to a colour laser and colour inkjet printers, and my origional idea was to print out the panels on glossy paper and then use a spray on glue to secure them to the project front panels.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, Karl

Seems like I remember a couple of ways that folks do this. One is decal design, and the other is silk screening. Darned if I can find any links for it yet, but if I find anything, I'll post it up.

Brett

Karl -

The latest edition of MS PAINT works very well as a faceplate design tool. It can be set up in grid form in either inches or centimeters, so that the finished product fits exactly on your equipment. There are multiple fonts and colors, and clipart (for dial patterns or logos) can be imported and easily added to any design. Once you get the hang of manipulating the software, making pro-looking faceplates is a breeze. I made my first ones by cutting contact paper to 8 1/2 x 11 and running it through my laser printer. Now, I have a color laser, and I use adhesive-backed thin vinyl. There are many good MS PAINT tutorials out there. Just google them up. Good luck and 73s.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.