• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT 710 info ?

At some point you'll want to check what firmware version your rig shipped with versus the most current version on the Yaesu website. I've updated mine once since I received it and the DNR and a few other functions were improved quite a bit.

7 3
As it turns out, I'm one firmware out of date. Will likely address that later today

Yes. I am not too proud to take advice.
I suppose I better sell the class B bias 4x2879 base and get the Ameritron AL811 although I understand they need quite a few mods to prevent the exact same disaster from happening. Guess I better get some more pics and pop it up on here for sale. I dislike change. And I like this amp. And brand new pills too.
But I suppose common sense must prevail over feelings.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Coyote
:ROFLMAO: (y)Good Deal...Most times not worth the effort to "F" the ALC...MY Yaesu FTdx3000D has been used on 6m/10m AM/FM...works just fine with factory settings. The few times I have done that.
I still mix it up on 28 a bit. But with this fancy thing it's less and less.

Ameritron AL811 I've been eyeing.
New or used?...Thats a nice amp. I have owned one for like 20 yrs. On 10m/15m expect to run around 400w PEP Output with proper drive of like 40w...The rest of the bands run it at like 500w PEP output...she will last a good while!
Now if looking NEW...I would suggest a used amp for about the SAME /$$
A single 3-500z operated at around 5-700w PEP out will last years (y)

I will add this: IMHO the loss of about 150 watts less on the 3 Hole'r vs 4 Hole'r ...BOTH Amps have same power supply, thus the 3 tuber runs a "lighter load" on the PS. Again just my worthless 2 cents
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I still mix it up on 28 a bit. But with this fancy thing it's less and less.

onairgiff.gif

Fine, keep one good working CB and maybe small amp for that.

New or used?...Thats a nice amp. I have owned one for like 20 yrs. On 10m/15m expect to run around 400w PEP Output with proper drive of like 40w...The rest of the bands run it at like 500w PEP output...she will last a good while!
Now if looking NEW...I would suggest a used amp for about the SAME /$$
A single 3-500z operated at around 5-700w PEP out will last years (y)

I will add this: IMHO the loss of about 150 watts less on the 3 Hole'r vs 4 Hole'r ...BOTH Amps have same power supply, thus the 3 tuber runs a "lighter load" on the PS. Again just my worthless 2 cents
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
That 1st big box is 220. My setup is in the living room. 110 only.
I was considering the A811 new.
That other used 80L sounded nice but unknown if he'd sell to a non ham (yet).
Spose I better sell this 4 pill base 1st.
If I swipe another 1000 plus from savings, wife may go on a revenge shopping spree lol.

• Haha
I have a 811h, it is a very old one, actually my brother has it at the moment.
It served me well for years.
To be honest the new ones coming from MFJ have a multitude of problems from improper coil lengths and size, poor construction and undocumented changes in the builds.
W8JI has actually stopped working on the Ameritron amps at this time because it's just too much of a headache.
The older ones with his upgrades is good, as long as you don't beat it to death in AM.
They are not good on 11 meters, Tom will tell you that.
As Gary posted a good 500Z amp will last year's if you treat it right.
One way to "help" protect you from damaging your nice HF radio is to manually key the transistor amp with the radio.
This avoids the relay hanging up and feeding back into the front end.

Jeff

I will do some more research. I am happy with 400ish watts. I dont need a 3000 dollar plus legal limit (1500w) amp. With the baby beam it's not necessary. Arent most the 500z amps going to be 220v as well as 2000-4000 usd?
That's too steep at the moment.
I'm not retired yet lol and sadly not independently wealthy.

Last edited:
Al80 (A) (B) will run fine on 120vac...as long as it has nothing else on that circuit...you loose maybe 100w in voltage sag...but many operated them on 120vac...just have to change the transformer winding/and AC Plug... EZ ...

"This amplifier has a current demand of 14 amperes at 120 Vac with 1000 watts of RF carrier output. The average power line current during voice peaks on SSB will be approximately 9 amperes at 1000 watts PEP output. The average current demand on CW will be less than 12 amperes. Most normal residential power lines and house-wiring will easily meet this current requirement." (per manual)

Ah but what about cost lol we glossed over that part. I do like the IDEA of 1000pep but from what I see on cost for those my wallet won't.
I do agree 1st cost is best long term as a general rule, but I cannot swing 2k-4k for amp right after getting away with 1000 plus for a "radio" lol I like the wife as she is, not attempting to kill me!
Is there a lower cost option in the 400-600 watt range that you all would recommend? Moving out the CB realm of amps is out my overall knowledge scope.
I mean I have run D&A phantoms, Firebird 500s etc so tubes aren't completely foreign to me but brands and reliability and with an eye toward getting licensed and needing the other "bands"... I'm clueless other than some web research.

but I cannot swing 2k-4k
$900-$1300 ABOUT NORMAL FOR GOOD USED...Two of those adds I posted were in the $900 range...R&L has 30 days warranty on used ones...hence more $$

Oh gotcha. I clicked on one of the links provided and got the 1695.00 one. Ill cast about locally on the usual suspects and see what I find. Thank you for the clarification.
Screenshot_20231113_133106_DuckDuckGo.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.