• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT 710 info ?

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
Are these as easy to convert as Icom 7300 and if so is the frequency complete coverage as USA Icom 7300 is with MARS mod? And having said all this can these 100 Watters be nerfed down so they don't explode my 4 pill box and still have that lovely real radio audio?
Equipment like this may push me into getting my ticket. Also anyone have any Icom 7300 vs Yaesu FT-710 observations please feel free to speak your piece. I prefer the Yaesu having a "meter" and self supporting external monitor mode at full res vs the ICOM 7300 pretty poor external options but hams seem to prefer the performance of the 7300. I'm a babe in Toyland here and know next to nothing on ham rigs other than my departed father had a massive heathkit radio and amp and was an avid ham back in the 80s and did some 2m stuff in the 90s but none of thats relevant to these new SDRs. As I will be wasting either one away on 11m for the immediate future however who knows in time!
Screenshot_20231031_193717_DuckDuckGo.jpg20231023_150822.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Does anyone have any overriding reason that they would choose the Icom 3700 over the Yaesu FT - 710 (I found its conversion finally) considering my use case - 11m I am not a ham. Yet. I like both but the Yaesu is winning my internal self poll with the external display option as I'm right next to wifes PC at radio table anyway and monitor is right there. Why would you not. And supposedly quieter recieve compared to the Icom and I have some electrical noise at home 20. Haven't been able to find it in my home maybe neighbors or electrical transformer in backyard.
Icom supposedly has easier to use GUI but that's not a swinging vote for me....

Last edited:
No experience with the FT-710 but I do own an IC-7300 and FT-DX10. The ergonomics on the 7300 are far superior to DX10. I can fly across the bands on the 7300 searching for signals with its silky smooth tuning knob set to 1 kHz tuning. You can tune in 1 kHz steps on the DX10 too but you have to tap the frequency display every time. The main tuning knob on the DX10 is also stiffer than the 7300. The DX10 has buttons all around the main tuning dial so you have to lock it so you don't bump it. The DX10 has a better receiver though. It's quieter and the noise reduction is far superior. I like them both. The 7300 is my backup radio and I use it when I want to record off the air signals. Wish I had the ergonomics of the 7300 on the DX10. Hope this helps some.

I've had mixed luck with Yaesu gear. I've had some great ones, like my old FRG7 reciever way back when. Unfortunately some of their newer rigs seem less reliable.

If I was buying a new HF rig right now I'd get the Icom 7300 without hesitation.
If I was buying used I would go with something Kenwood or Icom less than 20 years old (if older you might need to recap). The Kenwood TS-430S has a history of problems related to bad solder, so avoid that one !

I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Icom also has the ability to operate with an external display.

I've had mixed luck with Yaesu gear. I've had some great ones, like my old FRG7 reciever way back when. Unfortunately some of their newer rigs seem less reliable.

If I was buying a new HF rig right now I'd get the Icom 7300 without hesitation.
If I was buying used I would go with something Kenwood or Icom less than 20 years old (if older you might need to recap). The Kenwood TS-430S has a history of problems related to bad solder, so avoid that one !

I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Icom also has the ability to operate with an external display.
It .... can...with limitations. It cannot do it itself per say... it requires link to a PC and 3rd party software and its functional yes but ugly as sin visually comparatively speaking.
As far as reliability goes thats a important factor.
I'm definitely going new. Just don't want someone else's mods, returns and or problems. If I have problems I want them to be mine. Lol.
With cobra 2000s in good nick going for 700 plus it's a no brainer to desecrate a ham rig for use on 11m than pay for a glorified 148 gtl in a pretty box.
Dammit yall have made this hard again. I thought I'd narrowed it down.
And I seriously preferred the instant notching on the Icom vs drill down punch buttons Yaesu. Argghhh.

Last edited:
No experience with the FT-710 but I do own an IC-7300 and FT-DX10. The ergonomics on the 7300 are far superior to DX10. I can fly across the bands on the 7300 searching for signals with its silky smooth tuning knob set to 1 kHz tuning. You can tune in 1 kHz steps on the DX10 too but you have to tap the frequency display every time. The main tuning knob on the DX10 is also stiffer than the 7300. The DX10 has buttons all around the main tuning dial so you have to lock it so you don't bump it. The DX10 has a better receiver though. It's quieter and the noise reduction is far superior. I like them both. The 7300 is my backup radio and I use it when I want to record off the air signals. Wish I had the ergonomics of the 7300 on the DX10. Hope this helps some.
Drat. These are also compelling reasons.
I am getting fat fingered in my old age and very likely to do some hamfistery.
I didnt notice the ergonomics as much as I was focused on the external display ability.
What to do, what to do.... I can't afford both and they will be glorified CB rigs for now .... arghhh decisions decisions....and yet Im in a noisy QTH and need the better receiver filtering.....well-now-im-on-the-fence-cant-decide.gif

Last edited:
Drat. These are also compelling reasons.
I am getting fat fingered in my old age and very likely to do some hamfistery.
I didnt notice the ergonomics as much as I was focused on the external display ability.
What to do, what to do.... I can't afford both and they will be glorified CB rigs for now .... arghhh decisions decisions....and yet Im in a noisy QTH and need the better receiver filtering.....View attachment 66095
Check out N4HNH Radio on YouTube. He has a lot of excellent info on the DX10 & 710.

• Love
Reactions: lonestarbandit
Get the icom 7300 from gigaparts and let them do the mats cap mod. Then you know its done right!!!
I am doing it myself regardless which radio I can manage to decide on for the same reason lol. Both Mods are very simple with the correct tools.
I also was once Milspec - certified for soldering etc in a previous career and have solder / resolder stations etc.
I have found its bad for my bank account to "booze and cruise" radio outlets lol
Appreciate the vote for the Icom.

Last edited:
Check out N4HNH Radio on YouTube. He has a lot of excellent info on the DX10 & 710.
Ty, quite correct. I think I've seen every YouTube video on both radios at this point and still struggling to decide and or parse all the features as I am but a simple 11m jockey. Which is why I was soliciting the "local" forum opinion lol and yes N4HNHs video was very informative (perhaps even too much for my untutored mind - Im not a ham) but Im just so undecided lol its a bit of cash for 11m chicken banding lol so I want to choose correctly. The notching seems better and more intuitive on the Icom but then no external display...

Last edited:
Then I hit things like Icom 7300 can decode RTTY and Yaesu supposedly doesnt which would be fun for passive eavesdropping but then one asks do I care I just don't know!!! These super radios do so much more of everything easily makes our radios look like toys. Just overwhelmed by the feature set.
I'm leaning back towards the Icom but some of yall need to tip me over the edge. Lastly, do they ever run black Friday sales or Christmas sales or is this 1000 plus price just set in stone for a 2016 radio lol
too-many-choices.gif

Last edited:
Please Elmers, im begging ya, I need more opinions so I can make a informed decision before global supply / demand restrictions starts pushing price increases.
7300 vs FT710 and I am coming around to the idea of at least getting my technician and or General eventually so all the feature set I dont presently need would be important later.....it's just I dont know what I dont know.... ya know? I'm drowning in a sea of indecipherable (at present) info from YouTube vids.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.