• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft-817 Blown finals??

Sol1776

Nov 24, 2010
I decided to combine my two favorite hobbies, ham radio and hiking, so after selling off some extra gear that's been accumulating I headed off to Nearfest on a quest to find an ft-817. I found a clean used one that turned on and was assured by the seller it was in perfect working order. After throwing together a 20m dipole a few days later I had no luck making any contacts so I chalked it up to band conditions. After spending a few days learning the menus and settings I tried again...no luck...after changing the meter to read power I realized it shows no power. I hooked it up to my base set-up and it shows no out-put on my meter, I then tuned my G5 to a 3-1 SWR and the SWR meter on the 817 showed no response. I then tried 2m and not only was there no measurable out-put but it won't tune past 145.999. So before I send it out or attempt replacing the pa board myself I thought throw it out here and see if anyone had other suggestions.
Thanks for any help!

Sol: Couple things to check....
The menu has a setting for each RF output connector for HF/VHF....they can be set to use either the front (BNC) or the rear SO239 for both sections...
The menu also explains how to adjust the power setting by the front push buttons....and it can be a little confusing if your not use to that rig.

Unless BOTH final boards are toast you should show a least something....at least I hope you do....(Driver power) very small maybe 1/2 a watt....

Do you have and external swr meter you can place in line? A dummy load?
Set the meter to CAL and turn it wide open so even a small amount of power will move the meter. Then change the power settings does it change?
I would suggest doing HF first...Try a couple different bands and see if anything shows...
Then repeat for 2m/440...

Let me stop here and say FIRST thing...check in the owners manual and do a MASTER RESET of the rig...
This will clear any settings that someone else may have installed...
Then do as I suggest above...
Then get back to us and will see if we can help further
GL
All the Best
BJ

Reactions: 1 person
I have replaced the final board on an 817 and it is EASY

The new final board is updated compared to the NON ND versions.

If you can solder, do it yourself.

Like stated above, make sure the power is going to the correct antenna

Also, I bought a used 817 that had no power.

That is the one I replaced the final board on.

The owner "thought he knew what he was doing" and changed all the menu setting to max in the service menu and he screwed it up.

I just set everything to my 817 service menu settings and got power but it was milliwatts,

Threw the new final board in and BAM

Call Yaesu in California and you can get the final board.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1