• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-8800/8900 questions

KD8KSX

Feb 25, 2010
As I'm narrowing down my selection of what I want to buy, I have just a couple more questions, if you all will indulge me:

(8900) - Just how useful is 10 and 6M FM? I know it's only a (relatively) small price increase over the 8800, but that doesn't include the added cost of an antenna needed to use those bands.

(8800 & 8900) - Can the left or right sides be independently turned off, and if so, will the one remaining side be displayed across the entire screen?

I'm teetering between one of those two, or just getting a 7900R and being done with it. An 857 is out of my budget range for now, but I'll be revisiting HF next year.

Thanks for putting up with my waffling (at least I'm not a politician)

B

As I'm narrowing down my selection of what I want to buy, I have just a couple more questions, if you all will indulge me:

(8900) - Just how useful is 10 and 6M FM? I know it's only a (relatively) small price increase over the 8800, but that doesn't include the added cost of an antenna needed to use those bands.

(8800 & 8900) - Can the left or right sides be independently turned off, and if so, will the one remaining side be displayed across the entire screen?

I'm teetering between one of those two, or just getting a 7900R and being done with it. An 857 is out of my budget range for now, but I'll be revisiting HF next year.

Thanks for putting up with my waffling (at least I'm not a politician)

B

I like Yaesu FT-8800 very much. I was actually thinking of buying one rather than this new dual band radios from Icom & Yaesu but eventually bought an Icom IC-2820H coz of D-STAR. FT-8800 is a full featured radio with crossband repeat capability & a detachable front panel display. The FT-8900 is similar to FT-8800 except for the 2 additional bands (6 & 10 meters). I did some search on the web on the antennas for the 4 bands (2m, 70 cm, 6 m & 10 m) & there's only very few to make a choice. If you want the best antenna for the FT-8900 you probably have to put a duplexer, triplexer or whatever they call it to split the signal but it will cost you more too coz you'll have to install more than one antenna. If I were you, just get the FT-8800. You're better off with a dual band radio for now. Most likely you'll gonna get this 2 additional bands anyway if you buy an HF rig later on which you said you intend on doing in the future.

Okay... I ended up getting the FT-7900R. I just didn't like the very small knobs for tuning as well was the concentric knob for the squelch. I think I'll be plenty satisfied with the 7900 until I end up going HF down the road.

B

Okay... I ended up getting the FT-7900R. I just didn't like the very small knobs for tuning as well was the concentric knob for the squelch. I think I'll be plenty satisfied with the 7900 until I end up going HF down the road.

B

You'll be missing a very nice crossband repeat feature you'll get with FT-8800.:sad:

You'll be missing a very nice crossband repeat feature you'll get with FT-8800.:sad:

I know, but I won't be missing those little knobs spaced too closely together or the unlit buttons. How anyone can market a mobile unit without backlit buttons is beyond me.

Crossband would be a very nice option to have, but not at the price of the other deficiencies.

Of course, I eventually want to install a permanent rig in my car, too.

KD8KSX

You can't really compare FT-8800 & FT-8700 unless you're comparing for the price. The FT-8800 is a basically a 2 in 1 radio. It can do V+U/V+V/U+U dual band operation. It can also a do a full duplex operation. A good radio to compare it would be the Icom IC-2710H or the Icom IC-2720H hence both radios are 2 in 1 radios.

I know you already made your decision, but here's my two cents in case anyone else reads this thread:

IMO, the added cost for 10m & 6m is a waste because you only get FM mode. There is a lot more activity on 10 & 6 on SSB. If you couple that with the increased cost of the antennas necessary, it actually adds up to quite a bit more. If I wanted 10 & 6, I would just get an all mode, HF/VHF/UHF rig.

I know you already made your decision, but here's my two cents in case anyone else reads this thread:

IMO, the added cost for 10m & 6m is a waste because you only get FM mode. There is a lot more activity on 10 & 6 on SSB. If you couple that with the increased cost of the antennas necessary, it actually adds up to quite a bit more. If I wanted 10 & 6, I would just get an all mode, HF/VHF/UHF rig.

THANKS FOR THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes I was yelling) I missed the 8900 was NOT a SSB radio,:headbang Thanks for saving me $$$$$(y)

Not to mention the 8900 doesn't have the memory management (memory banks) of the 8800 which I find very useful on a radio with hundreds of memory channels. I can bank channels of interest together so that I can scan what interests me at the moment. I have a bank for ham repeaters, simplex freqs, may favorite ham reaters/simplex freqs, FRS GMRS MURS freqs, and public safety. When I help with community events (triathlons and bike races) I can load the com plan channels in to a bank so that when I am on an event it can easily switch between the 4 or so channels used on the event that would otherwise have been allover the memory of my radio.

I can't live without memory banks.

Wish I'd read this before the 8900R purchase. I too was almost ready to buy the 8800R and then got a push toward the 8900R for 'resale value' not realizing about the memory. The memory on the 8900R is really bad.

As far as the lack of lighting on the buttons....I hear you, but they perform non-critical functions and are easy to manipulate so backlighting isn't that much of an issue.

I'll go along with the comments on the FT-8900, I have both radios and vastly prefer the FT-8800, the memory management features far out way the 6 and 10m fm bands (which are pretty vacant).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.