• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft-891detachable faceplate help

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
hey guys, i want to mount my new yaesu ft-891 under the seat and use the detachable face on the dash in my mobile. my question is, the face connects to the radio with that telephone type modular cable. can i use just a plain old telephone cable to connect the two? or is the plug and wiring different? im trying to avoid spending $70 (ouch) for the separation kit because i only need the faceplate to radio cable and not everything else.

Check the wiring order on EACH end. It may be reversed on one end not sure. I have the FT-857 band made up my own cables but that was a long time ago. I bought a bunch of 4,6, and 8 pin connectors and the crimp tool for them. Something tells me a normal telco cable will NOT work.

Reactions: Mudfoot
both RJ style cables in the kit

6 pin wires are not crossed over cable is normal round
IMG_20190507_104800.jpg

8 pin wires are not crossed over cable is flat
IMG_20190507_104010.jpg

the third cable is the speaker one (3.5mm mono socket to 3.5mm mono plug)
the bracket in the kit is pure crap.....a cell phone mount would be better

there is zero shielding on the rj style cables

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated